Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prob A Stupid Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JackDinn

JackDinn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

yea prob a silly question but i just cant figure out how to search for things on this site using this sites search bar.
say i want to search for " i cant install AVG" it wont except it because it says all words must b 4 character or more
so how would i search for "whats the difference between TCP and UDP" or if i want to c all the peeps talking about SP3 i cant just search "win XP SP3"

in fact most computer words are acronyms of 4 or more usually 3 letters, u might say then use the full and proper name but most posts from most peeps dont use the full names of things so the search would miss 90%.

what am i doing wrong or missing, any help would b great.

Edited by JackDinn, 09 June 2008 - 07:19 AM.

Thx for your time,
Jack.

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

What boots up must come down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Well It depends how you phrase your search Jack.

Ive just done a google search for "i cant install AVG" and I get 8 sites but at the top is says did you mean "i cannot install AVG" and it returns 195 sites. The same goes for "whats the difference between TCP and UDP" that returns 9 but with did you mean "what's the difference between TCP and UDP" returns 41. If you remove the quotes you get 125,000 but these include any words you have chosen but you will still get valid results.

Search engines have been out for years and there are general rules that you can apply. If you know the exact phrase then put the phrase in quotes which you've done. If you want to exclude certain words in your example use "i cannot install AVG" -virus if you want to include certain words then use "i cannot install AVG" +virus

These rules apply to all search engines that I've used. :thumbsup:

If you have a problem with AVG then they have their own forum

Edited by Keithuk, 09 June 2008 - 06:59 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 JackDinn

JackDinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

yea sorry i dident make myself clear, i dont mean google i mean just this sites search , if i want to search this site in this sites search bar.

im quite happy with normal search engines and using wildcards and boolean logic etc

its just when im looking for things on this and sometimes other forums using there own search bars

Edited by JackDinn, 09 June 2008 - 07:15 AM.

Thx for your time,
Jack.

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

The search function for the forums is a known albatross, that really can't be fixed. It's in the software. Try using just keywords. If the keyword is 3 or 4 letters, try adding an * or ** to the offending word
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 JackDinn

JackDinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

well tried that but no go, even if i put **avg, avg** ,*avg* and **avg** tried with the wildcard "?" as well, it still thinks thats a 3 letter word, and yes thats my point exactly 50% of the time keywords are 3 letters, i dont understand how everyone else gets by like this, i mean you should always do a proper search before posting anything but i dont c how u can?? :thumbsup:
Thx for your time,
Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users