Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ekearney

ekearney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

My girlfriend's Toshiba laptop can't connect to the internet. The other computers here have no problem, we just plug in and we are fine. The other PCs are XPs and Macs, hers is Vista.

I got some help before and

-disabled the DHCP Broadcast Flag for all the network adapters on the system
-disabled IPv6 on all network adapters
-disabled the IPHelper service in services.msc

This seemed to give us a temporary fix as we were briefly able to connect when we plugged in at an internet shop in the small city near here. But when we got back out to our school it didn't work.

We have some kind of satellite connection(sorry this is vague but I live at a school in Thailand) and no one has had a problem plugging in and connecting before.

Also her Vista is in Japanese and because I've never used Vista in English, basic stuff is taking me a long time...

any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ekearney

ekearney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

I appologize again for my vague and general problem description. I've taken some screen shots to show a little more of where we're at. I wish her Vista wasn't in Japanese(and that she knew some computer terms, but she's doing her best with her dictionary to translate). I think that Vista users will know the windows in these screenshots and might see something that I'm missing...

So any other computer that uses this same ethernet cable can connect but not hers. On this network and on my own PC which I'm using now, if I do an IPConfig I get
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address:10.133.82.21
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240
Default Gateway:10.133.82.17

Looking at the details from her PC below(4th picture), does it matter that her Subnet Mask is different from mine? Hers is 255.255.0.0

This first picture is the 'network and share center.' I've never used Vista in English so this is totally new to me.
Posted Image

Local Area Connection status
Posted Image

Properties
Posted Image

Details
Posted Image

On the 'network and share center' window, if I click that red X between the network connection and the globe this is the help window that comes up. There are 3 options that it gives us, roughly translated they are:

1-"if you click here, we will help you find how to find a wireless network"
2-"network adapter 'local area connection' get new IP setting automatically"
3-"the network router or broadband modem that you are using has a problem. maybe that's why you cant connect.

if you connect with a home network, you should turn off the modem and pull out the cord, wait 10 seconds, plug
the cord back in and turn it on again.

make sure the modem is connected from the cable jack or modual jack from the wall. then try to connect to
the network again."

here's that picture
Posted Image

I chose option 2, 'get a new IP setting automatically' and after a minute it said
"Network Diagnosis
We could not find anything.
Contact network manager or service provider."

ALSO, I used Microsoft's Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool from my PC and they said that this place/router is Vista friendly.

thanks for any help!

Edited by ekearney, 10 June 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#3 Korvak

Korvak

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Vista can be troubling all by itself, add reading it in Japanese.. Wow.

I've had some clients with a smiler problems and most of the time it is because Vista is seeing the network as unidentified.
Right below and to the left of the red X you can see an icon, when it identifies the network it will be of a home or office building instead of the two monitors.
In English you would see it labeled as unidentified network.

Do an ipconfig on her computer and see what ip she is getting. Just go to start and type in cmd in the search box.

If her info is different from yours type in ipconfig\release ( you should now see all 0's) then type in ipocnfig\renew, it will automatically look for a new ipaddress subnet mask and default gateway. If that doesn't work try manually putting in an ip address based on what you get on your computer.

I hope this was helpful, Good Luck....
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

#4 ekearney

ekearney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Korvak, thanks a lot for your reply and help.

It's really strange, in the command prompt on her pc, the Yen symbol is used instead of a "\". You can see it below. I thought that is was the keyboard but then looked at the C:YENusersYENkozue>

So the ipconfig worked, but trying 'ipconfig\refresh' or 'ipconfig\renew' was confusing because it didn't seem to work. If it didn't work because of the lack of '\' or because of another problem I'm not sure.

Another strange(maybe?) thing was her ipconfig. It gave the basic info and then listed a whole bunch of 'Tunnel adapter local area connection's

Picture 1, translation below

Posted Image

Windows IP making system from below(?)

Wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection':
media's situation....: media doesnt connect
connection ? DNS suffix.....:

Internet adapter local area connection:
making system automatically IPv4 address.....: 169.254.216.204
subnet mask.................: 255.255.0.0
default gateway.........:

Tunnel adapter local area connection:
media's situation..................: media doesn't connect

**The next long group of "Tunnel adapter's" have the same "media situation" and "connection ? DNS suffix"

Picture 2, with all the same Tunnel adapters results...
Posted Image

Picture 3 with the ONE EXCEPTION, Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection 14, has a top line refering to the 'DNS suffix' and a middle line refering to the IPv6. "Link Local IPv6 address.....: fe80::5efe:169.254.216.204%25" The bottom line in Local Area Connection 14 is "default gateway......: "

towards the bottom you can see my trying to use the "ipconfig\release" and the next line reads...
"we couldn't find the path that you chose"

Posted Image

Any ideas that you have from this would be appreciated!! thanks in advance!!

#5 Korvak

Korvak

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

ekearney,

Sorry for the late reply, rough week. Figured anything out yet?

Try ipconfig/release.
Also, get into the TCP/IP properties of the LAN connection and turn off TCP/IP version 6 "Just uncheck it".

Hope this helps
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users