Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

During the past few days i have been having a strange problem with my keyboard,Initially i thought it was probably just being caused by dust, but now i think something else is causing it as it only happens intermittently, but this is at all different times and not necessarily when certain programs are running.,
It only affects the following keys :- n, b, down arrow,right arrow,space and also return.
I have also found that if i hold the buttons down and press space a few times then the keys will work,which seems a bit strange.

I have scanned for virii & spyware & found nothing, I also have to press the spacebar A few times before it will work, but sometimes it all works great.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the following system :-

Advent 7079 Laptop
1G b ram
70Gb HDD

If u need any more info please let me know.

Many Thanks

Steev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

The easiest test is to borrow a USB keyboard and try it. If it works, then the laptop keyboard is bad. If it doesn't, then there's a software issue that will require further testing/troubleshooting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

As this is a laptop, it is possible that the membrane (for the lack of what else to call it) beneath the keys has either deteriorated or has come unglued and maybe shifted out of position effecting only a few of your keys...By pressing the shift key or whatever key it may reposition it enough to cause the keys effected to work again (temporarily). Just a thought!
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

I did think this originally, Although if this is the case then I can't understand why it doesn't act this way all the time.

Usually when it is first swithed on there is no problem at all with the keys, Although this is not always the case.

It also seems to be worse when I am using any kind of online applications, But yet again this is not always the case.#

Another strange thing is that when typing into something like a word processor it seems to be ok in certain areas of the screen which is another reason why I think it is caused by something other than a hardware problem.

If you can help any futher it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Steve

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

I am guessing that the only viable solution would be to do as usasma suggested...Either borrow a USB keyboard or go to WalMart and purchase a cheap-o, plug it in and see if the problem is resolved...If it isn't then it is probably a software issue...What Software?...Who knows!!!
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Would it be of any use for me to send you a HiJackThis log, or even try the Deckard system scanner to see if that can find anything,#>>?????

I am going to try a scan with SuperAntiSpyware tonight and will also post the results, hopefully we can find some solution to this problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Please do not post a HiJackThis logfile here - we'll have to move it to the "Misplaced HJT Logs" forum.
Once you have an open HiJackThis log accepted into the HiJackThis logfiles forum, your post here will be closed until the HiJackThis log is certified clean by one of the HiJackThis team members.
If you suspect that this is a malware issue, I'd suggest that you post over in the "Am I Infected" forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users