Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easier Way To Perform A Clean Install Of Vista With Upgrade Disk !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mattk37

mattk37

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hey, its really a pain that you can't boot and install from a vista upgrade disk, so I experimented. I found that if you boot from the windows vista recovery disk, you can Install Windows! Normally, you'd get this if you tried installing:
Posted Image
but I found a workaround!
Steps:
1. Download Vista Recovery Disk and burn .iso to cd or dvd - maybe try and find a link other than a .torrent (don't worry, its not illegal!):
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
2. Boot from Recovery Disk
Posted Image
3. When install screen shows, eject the disk and replace it with your vista upgrade disk.
Posted Image
Posted Image
4. Click Install
Posted Image
5. Enter product key for your upgrade dvd
Posted Image
6. Accept the stuff
Posted Image
7. choose custom installation and choose your disk to install on
Posted Image
Posted Image

And you're all done! Just wait for the installation to complete and you have yourself a fresh install of windows vista, installed from an upgrade disk without any previous installation of windows!

Currently only tested with the Sony Express Upgrade Disk of Vista Home Premium

Please post any comments or concerns. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Sorry bro, it doesn't work that way. :huh:

I tried doing that but instead of doing what you said it would I just get yet another stupid error message saying, "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users