Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sales Tax On Newegg For Us Ny People

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Newegg is being forced to collect sales tax on orders from New York. Now if I wanted to build a new computer from Newegg that was say $1,000, I would have to pay an additional $77.50 sales tax :thumbsup: . So what are others thoughts about this? I haven't checked other sites that don't charge sales tax, but does anyone know if other sites must do this now too?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

I dont konw about other sites, I hope not, because I'm getting a new desk top soon... But then again, Im not from new york, so im ok.

However, thats (insert swear word of your choice here) stupid, I hate taxes.. hehe

Sorry for no constructive comments. lol.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

I think taxing is a bunch of trash.....Internet users need to rally before its internet wide....
Just more money to waste on war.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

Death & Taxes. Both unavoidable. Die and you still get taxed to death.

Many USA States are now requiring the original shipping party to collect & or pay sales taxes.

Most foreign (non USA) countries have required similar for many years.

/@CGM3 - Actually the taxing has nothing to do with the WWW. It's States taxes. Here, if one crosses over into Delaware to purchase items, one is supposed to pay the Maryland 6% tax at tax filing time via their tax returns. Though seldom prosecuted, the penalties are very steep.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

Is Newegg out of N.Y.? If so that would make more sense. When I buy online and the item comes from someplace in Nebraska, say for Sears, I get taxed... Not that I'm happy about it, but I can't do anything either... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

No Newegg isn't located in New York.

This is a new tax set up by the NY government. http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/02/who-s...the-amazon-tax/ . The "Amazon Tax" goes for all online retailers. Anything we buy now must be taxed, because our government is so greedy. The economies bad right now, so lets take even more from the people! Great idea!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

I saw that announcement the other day when I was browsing newegg. Sorry to hear it.

(Like the government needs more money to spend on useless crap? Mabey they should spend on something we need)

Lucky I dodged a bullet :thumbsup:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 12 June 2008 - 11:51 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users