Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Adress can not be aquired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ganglywrench

ganglywrench

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Just rebooted after a long absence from my machine, 6 months, and I can not get an IP address assigned to me from our cable modem. After many talks with our provider I have been assured it is not from them. I have performed a reinstall of XP Pro but to no avail. I am assuming that I picked something up that is just rearing its ugly code now. Any ideas, possibly something I can get on-line during work and bring home or maybe a dance I can do to convince the gods that I need to get on the net after work?

Thank you.
Matt Jackson
Brooklyn, NY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

Well first i would make sure that your machine is set up to use DHCP. You can do this by:

Right clicking network connections -> click properties.
Right click your connection -> click properties.
On the general tab scroll to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Select it and hit properties
On the general tab make sure the Obtain ip address automatically is selected, and obtain DNS server address automatically.

You also want to check the cable, make sure that it is seated properly, try taking it out and putting it back in.

Keith
Posted Image

#3 ganglywrench

ganglywrench
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

Keith

Thanks. I have done all of those things and check the cable with my tester. Could something malicious that is causing this?

Thanks

Matt

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

I have experienced this many times. Cable modems don't continually give out ip address's, they only give them shortly after being powered on and become ready. Click start, click run, type cmd and click okay. (this should give you a command prompt) Type ipconfig and press enter, this will show you your current IP address. If it starts with 169, then windows isssued itself an IP because nothing gave it an IP. Type ipconfig /release, this will release your IP (there is a space behind ipconfig and before the /) Hit enter. Now type ipconfig /renew, but don't press enter yet. Power off your cable modem, wait 5 seconds, then turn it on. It will go through a self test, then come ready. As soon as it comes ready press enter, you may have to try several times. Type ipconfig and see if it gave you a new IP. Good Luck.
It still could be a bad cable modem or your network card could be bad, but lets not assume that just yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users