Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install Fails At Bootup - Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

After a severe trojan infestation that was causing a BSOD, I re-installed XP Home. The problem I'm having is that during the new installation it just hangs, and I get a black screen right before the Windows progress bar is supposed to appear. I ran chkdsk /p in the Recovery Console and there were no errors.

I tried a second clean install with the same result. Any suggestions?

-Thanks

Edited by Cypod, 08 June 2008 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

You say "clean install"...does that mean that you deleted the partition and created a new one...or did you just format the old one?

FYI: Running chkdsk /p does not fix anything, it's a read-only function. Try running chkdsk /r.

Louis

#3 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for responding. Yes, I deleted the partition and reformatted. According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058, "chkdsk /p does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors". I am running chkdsk /r as you suggested, though. I'll post back with the results.

#4 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Ok... the machine has gone through chkdsk /r and another install. Unfortunately, there is no change.

I'm not sure where to turn next... :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Well...with all due respect to MSKB articles, I can only say that whomever wrote that article...hasn't used chkdsk...or just had a brain cramp.

Rather than chkdsk /p, what they should have written is chkdsk /f.

But chkdsk /r is more exhaustive than chkdsk /f and it does include all the checks/repairs done by running chkdsk /f.

I see that there are various Web sources that cite this same MSKB and make the same error...I cannot account for that. But take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Try running these various commands sometime and see what the net effect on the system is.

Louis

OK, I've learned a bit :thumbsup:.

There is a chkdsk /p command which actually does something...it's the equivalent of chkdsk /f ONLY when run from the Recovery Console. All that I said about chkdsk /f functions being included in chkdsk /r commands while in the RC...is correct.

Trying to run chkdsk /p when not in the RC...results in nothing but read-only function, same as just typing chkdsk with no switch.

My apologies to whomever wrote that MSKB, although they probably don't realize that some of us try the same commands, whether in the RC, using the command prompt, or doing the Start/Run thing.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#6 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

...take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Try running these various commands sometime and see what the net effect on the system is.

Thanks for the error checking link but I can't access anything except the Recovery Console, so for chkdsk I am limited there to /p & /r, which I have already run.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:00 AM

What is the make and model of your computer?
Do you have a SATA or IDE hard drive?
If SATA, did you load the drivers (by pressing F6) during the early phase of the installation?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? (by pressing F8 just before the splash screen shows up)

What was the BSOD that the trojan caused? It could be another problem altogether - such as a bad hard drive or bad memory.
Have you tried running a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive?
Have you tried running a memory tester (there's a free one here: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Code Poet

Code Poet

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

I re-installed XP Home. The problem I'm having is that during the new installation it just hangs, and I get a black screen right before the Windows progress bar is supposed to appear.
-Thanks

Will Windows boot into safe mode?

#9 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

usasma & Code Poet,

The computer is a clone P4. It uses an IDE HD. No, I can't boot into Safe Mode because it has been wiped by the failed install. The previous BSOD error was:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000022
(0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

I haven't tried running an HD diag yet other than Recovery Consoles chdsk /p and chdsk /r (reported OK), but that's a good idea. I ran Memtest86 and the memory passed with no errors.

#10 Code Poet

Code Poet

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Ahhh the progress bar for the install. For some reason I took it that the install finished but that the PC failed on boot. I was thinking of the progress bar that shows up when Windows starts loading.

The first thing that I would do is try a full format from the recovery console. Then using the installation CD delete the current partition and create a new one then attempt the install. If that didn't work I would see if I could get my hands on another installation disk. If you have your authentication code it's fine to do that. If you still can't install from a different disk I would try unplugging all hardware that you don't need for the install and try installing again.

#11 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

I used KillDisk to erase the HD and write all zeroes to it. Then I ran HD diagnostics with Sea Tools, but I'm getting weird results;

After the software loads, the program window comes up and starts flickering randomly. When I click on either the long or short test buttons, an error warning pops up: "Smart Trip was detected prior to testing. Do you want to continue?" Ignoring the random flashing and warning error, I clicked continue and ran both short and long tests on the drive (a Maxtor 6L040J2 40 GB). It passed both tests 100%. While the test is running and when it finishes, it says "Smart Has NOT Been Tripped".

I tried the floppy on another PC just to make sure it was OK and Sea Tools worked fine - no flickering and no warnings.

I'm also getting an error now when I go to the Recovery Console. The console loads, but at the C: prompt it says "The path or file specified is not valid", and no commands are recognized.

Edited by Cypod, 09 June 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

My guess...would be that the hard drive has some problem that chkdsk /r cannot cure...and that triggers SMART. The part that throws me is the disclaimer ("SMART has not been tripped") and the fact that the long test finished with no problems noted.

Based on the fact that I'd rather be safe than sorry, I think I would not use that drive for a boot partition, while using it for storage.

Note: chkdsk /r normally is able to work around bad sectors, so I think whatever might be wrong...is more serious than that.

SMART is not perfect...and many persons don't even enable it on their systems/drives....but the fact that the SMART warning came during testing would give me pause. That and the RC thing...add up to a troubled drive, IMO.

Louis

#13 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

SUCCESS! :thumbsup:

I tried a fresh install one more time and it worked! It sailed right through the install with no problems, finishing in less than 45 minutes total (I'm not getting sound, but that's probably something minor). I think there must have been something on the hard drive that KillDisk wrote over. Before I go much further though, I'll run some more tests on the HD to try and see if it's really OK.

Thanks again everyone for your help...
It's nice to find a forum with such knowledgeable members. :flowers:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

Well done, but I'd keep an eye on Event Viewer for disk error messages...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users