Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:26 PM
Well I installed XP with SP1 instead of the homebrewed nlite XP with SP3 that I have been using on other machines with no problem. I Then downloaded the Acer drivers and extracted the files manually with Winrar. I didn't use any of the setup.exe files but rather searched for the driver manually with the update driver wizard and point it to the extracted files. I noticed when I extracted the Realtek driver there was another zipped setup folder inside so I unzipped that too.
After re-booting I still had 1 unknown device and 1 unknown PCI device. The audio driver would not install by pointing to the extracted files so I had to install with the setup icon instead, but I used the other one I found in the second zipped folder. Hey presto, no more unknown PCI device and working HD audio.
However I did still have the unknown device but after installing SP2 it went away.
So this could all be down to the early version of SP3 that I had not working with this PC and had I installed with SP2 in the first place the drivers may have installed normally. I'm not going to do it all again though, thats for sure! I thought I would post this anyway in case someone else has the same problem. I came across this site by accident when Google refered me here and it has been a good source of help for a long time since.