Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32.netbooster - Aftermath?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Enjohn

Enjohn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum and am in desperate need of some sound advice please.

It all went horribly wrong when I was attacked by Malware/Worm/Virus over a 48hour period. These included VBS/Agent.1002, clfmonb.bmp and Win32.Netbooster.

Thanks to advice in the knowledge base of this and other forums and programmes such as Spybot, Spyware Terminator and Nod32 Anti Virus my system now appears clean and reasonably safe. However, during the 6+ hours spent cleaning everything up I noticed that I have two User Accounts that have Administrator Status; one of these with my name and showing in the list of User Accounts in the Control Panel, but the other shows on my computer only (not in Control Panel) as New User.

I believe that this has arisen as a result of a replacement hard drive fitted last December and the company that carried this out must have set it up when they reinstalled Windows XP. However, from articles I have read I understand that some malware and virus programmes can create this for their own use. My main question is - how can I determine where this account was created? If it was created by the company that installed my new hard drive, how can I delete this New User account and transfer all the settings etc. to the account with my Name?

The other question I have is regarding the security issues of logging on as Administrator for everyday access. Based on all the various Forums and other sites during the cleaning up of my computer I understand the problems involved with running in Administrator mode. I have Password protected the Guest account and disabled it, but want to set up a limited user account for my day to day access. What is the best way to do this, and is there a way I can transfer my Documents and Settings, Desktop and browser favourites to this account?

All help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum and expanded topic description~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 08 June 2008 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users