Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer Not Listed In Bios Or Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JBY

JBY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Greetings,
I recently fed my notebook a cup of coffee, with cream. I guess it only takes it black. Anyway, I replaced the keyboard but in so doing I left 1 screw out, the one holding in my dvd. After I booted and all was well, i went to move it while it was running and the dvd fell out. Without thinking, I stuffed it back in. Since then, it spins up but is not recognized anywhere. No other problems, and there was no sign of coffee on the dvd drive. Since, I've updated my BIOS, but no luck. I've also removed the drive, rebooted without it, then reinstalled it and rebooted, but nothing. What next?
THANX

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

Replacement ?

Sensitive electronic equipment sometimes doesn't respond positively to uncushioned or cushioned shocks.

Louis

#3 JBY

JBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

It fell out into my hand, no trauma. Do you think re-connecting to the power hot may have cooked it? And how can I tell which cooked - the writer or the board?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

Try this: Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users