Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Any Exe Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bonez07

bonez07

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

My brother just brought his computer home, it can't run any .exe files. It always brings up the "Open With" screen and asks me to choose a program to open the file with.

Also when I go to control panel and double-click on anything, such as User Accounts, it says "Cannot find C:/Windows/system32/rundll32.exe" when it's there. I even tried copying rundll32.exe from a normal computer onto my virus-infected one and it still says the same thing.

Another problem is that once I login to the only account on the PC, it automatically restarts itself. But if I open up Task Manager and just delete some processes that look suspicious, it stays on for a lot longer. But sometimes when I exit Task Manager, then it'll just restart itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Right now the only solution I have is back up all important files and format.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#3 CarbonX

CarbonX

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Most likely infected mate.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

I think you are infected as well.
Before this topic gets moved by an Moderator I want you to try the following and see if it works:

Please download this .zip fileto your desktop. Extract it all.
Now go to Start>run> and type in "regedit %userprofile%\desktop\xp_exe_fix\xp_exe_fix.reg" without the quotes
See if that works and reply back. If that doesn't work it probably is a malware issue.

Regards,
Extremeboy

I'll wait before moving it just remind me~Mark

Edited by garmanma, 08 June 2008 - 07:54 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

I will try this tonight and let you know.

#6 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Doesn't work. It asks me what program I'd like to open it with. When I double-clicked the file itself, it said "Registry editing has been disabled by administrator." This is odd because there's only one account which IS the administrator on that computer.

#7 Darkwarzx

Darkwarzx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

I really can't suggest anything as I have not seen a problem like this before. Maybe a system reformat?

#8 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

I really can't suggest anything as I have not seen a problem like this before. Maybe a system reformat?

That's what I'm doing in a couple days, once I find my XP CD.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Please try this (borrowed from Quietman7)

This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File Exit.
Or you can download and use ERUNT which is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #275 and click "Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save regtmcmdrestore.vbs to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users