Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Search 4.0

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

WS4 lets you perform an instant search of your computer. WS4 helps you find and preview documents, e-mail messages, music files, photos, and other items on the computer. Please refer to the Knowledge base article KB940157 for a full description of the technology. Has any body used this and is it a good thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I have not used it...but what does it do...that cannot ordinarily be done without it?

In other words...what would make anyone install it? I don't see anything that would make me use it, I'm always reluctant to install programs that really don't add anything to system functionality (and take system resources).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thank for getting back. That's why I ask. I don't know if it does something extra that would be nice to have.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Anytime I see "indexing" in conjunction with XP...I think "bad experience."

I (and others) turn off the indexing feature of XP, since it can become problematical.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm

http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=4000

The comments that a "powerful" system should have no problem with indexing...is not my experience. At times, indexing will run forever and severely limit normal functioning of a system, IME. Systems seem to work just fine without it.

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Thanks to all of you. I will just stay as I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users