Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows updates interrupted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

Last night I was playin quake whne windows updates started. I could not pause it or stop it so I shut the computer down manually....ie pressing button. "bad idea". Now windows runs slowly, its constantly discovering ne w hardware. I uninstalled the last service pack and tried to reinstall it....but to no avail. Im running windows XP. This is my old mans computer do its gotta get fixed. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

See if you have a system restore date that existed before the problem started. If you do, use it and it should fix the problem.

If not, start the computer in safe mode and run checkdisc clicking it to repair problems.

Let us know what happens.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 April 2005 - 07:28 AM.

#3 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:35 AM

one last questtion...heh...how too. im gonna look now...but im now sure on how to restore a previous date. ty.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:40 AM

There's a tutorial at BC to help you through the process.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Gui...ures-tut58.html
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:01 AM

Im not sure how to get into safe mode and do that scan. I can get into safe mode, just dont know how to scan. Dosent say in tutorial. I restored latest good config...but some problems are still here.

My screen looks ..."convex" i think. Instead of my moniter being fully used....the picture kinda webs in on sides....and is kinda being stretched from top to bottom.

When I reboot I get a warning that says "Error loading BDEInstallman".

Is there a way to hand pick a saved config? I bet its picking a broken one from a reboot last night. Ty.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi jpbc9999,

From your post, it sounds like you have a (B3D Projector, BDE, BDE Projector, Brilliant Digital) adware problem. Lots of sites are flagging the BDEInstallman as adware. Were you trying to run a HJT scan, or a spybot search and destroy scan under safe mode? I would recommend running a HJT log and posting in that forum.

The convex screen can be caused by different video modes, or the monitor may just need adjustment. The pincushion sounds like it is out of adjustment. The front of you display should have controls on it that adjust this. The icon looks like a display screen in the shape of an hour glass.

I hope this helps,
Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

See BC tutorial section "How to start Windows in Safe Mode"
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users