Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Won't Work - I Can Hear It Struggling To Spin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

Hi,
I have an 80GB Seagate Barracuda drive that has been in an external enclosure for the last year. Then it stopped working. I can remember the exact moment:

Windows XP was booting (Bootscreen with the three blue scrolling squares), and I could hear it humming like it always does. Then I turned the drive off for no apparent reason. When I turned it back on when XP was finished loading, Windows wouldn't detect it. I turned it off and on again. Still no go. I let it sit unplugged for ten minutes, then tried again. Windows gave me a blue screen (I'm so stupid, I didn't record the stop code).

I did some research, then decided that I would put it in the freezer for an hour, then I took it out, and tried plugging it into my laptop (Which is MUCH quieter than my desktop, so I could hear what it was doing). When I plug it in, I can hear the platters struggling to spin. It makes the same noise that a cat makes when it is sniffing right in your ear. Like something is quickly moving back and fourth.

What's wrong with it? This just suddenly happened out of the blue, the drive has been sitting in the same spot for the last three months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

Well they can and do go bad at a moments notice. With a USB hard drive, I tend to suspect the enclosure more than the drive. Can you slave it in your desktop and see what happens?
The freezer trick is the last ditch fix before deep-sixing the drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JamieH

JamieH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Well they can and do go bad at a moments notice. With a USB hard drive, I tend to suspect the enclosure more than the drive. Can you slave it in your desktop and see what happens?

I put it in my PC as a slave, and it started smoking and smelled like melting metal. It's dunzo.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

I put it in my PC as a slave, and it started smoking and smelled like melting metal. It's dunzo.

Not usually a good sign :thumbsup: Melting metal that is...It's toast...Sorry about your luck...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users