Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant start windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhodes

rhodes

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:11 AM

The pc error message I am getting is

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
Windows\system32\config\system
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' on the first screen"

I've done this and got the DOS prompt but don't really know what to do next. I'm not a great user of DOS. I tried chkdsk (without any parms) and that said it found a problem but I still got the message on reboot. I could find the file on my pc using CD and DIR. Err, that's it.

Any (helpful) advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:31 AM

What did it tell you to do after you selected "r" and placed the original Windows cd in the drive?

A screen with some options listed should have come up.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 April 2005 - 07:33 AM.

#3 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:44 AM

All I got was the DOS command prompt.

I have not got my pc with me at the moment, but from memory, the sequence was something like this.

start pc with XP CD already in
press a designated F key to get the boot menu up and select drive where the CD is

pressed 'any key' when asked to do so to boot from disc

enter 'r' when given the option to do so, to enter the recovey console

Command prompt displayed.

Should I be doing something different from this ?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:33 PM

enter 'r' when given the option to do so, to enter the recovey console

Command prompt displayed.

Should I be doing something different from this ?

Not if you want the recovery console. That's what it looks like. Not much of a console, huh?

Here's a good tutorial on recovering from serious problems. There are many links to warnings and other info, and I couldn't do a better job of telling you how to go about it. It's primarily about repair install, but there are also some other fixes available to fix the computer from the repair console without having to re-install. You might pay particular attention to the part about getting rid of damaged boot.ini. Good luck with it - this sort of thing can be very frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users