Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random restarts - driver problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Torison

Torison

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:05 AM

hey there,

im having a lot of problems with my computer randomly restarting. when it reboots it comes up with a "your computer has just recoverd from a serious error screen" when i send the error report to microsoft all i get back its that it is a driver error.

the thing is ive just installed a new motherboard (used from ebay) and so it couldbe any of the drivers!! before installing the new board i formated my drive and reinstalled windows xp with sp2.

im thinking that it could be my graphics card drivers that are playing up/not compatible - as when the computer comes under any graphic strain (ie doom 3) it will work fine for a while then suddenly reboot. however the computer randomly reboots during normal usage to :thumbsup:

something ive noticed in device manager under display adapters is 2 drivers (i guess) the second one is literally a copy of the first as it is exactly the same however has - secondary after it. it this mean to be here? ive never noticed it before.

ive tried using windows update for newer ati 9600 drivers - same affect. ive also tried the newest catalyst and omega drivers.

im not sure if it is the fact im using an ati card with a nvida chipset? do they not play nice?

another possiblity is the ram
im trying to use 2 512mb 2700 ddr running as dual ddr (at 166mhz default) however one is a high quality crucial ram the other is lowly matrix ram (cheapest i could get at the time) however ive tried them not as dual ddr with the same resets but the computer not being as fast.

ive flashed the bios bringing it back upto date still the resets.

heres my main computer specs if u need any more just ask

AMD 2800 barton
Soltek SL-75FRN-l motherboard (nvidia force 2 chipset)
1gb of 2700 ddr ram running dual ddr - 512mb crucial
- 512mb matrix
ATI Sapphire radeon 9600 atlantis 128mb
120gb hd
80gb hd
450w psu
a bunch of fans so no overheating problems

thanks for any help/suggestions - im running out of ideas

torison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

I would disable the second entry in the device manager. You could also take out all of your expansion cards, and put them back in 1 at a time to see if it is one of those causing the problem. It might also be a power supply issue.

Keith
Posted Image

#3 Torison

Torison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:14 AM

right 2nd entry has been disabled (if you delete it just reinstalls) unfortunatly still have the resets.
the only pci cards i have in there are a wireless network one and a low quality 6 channel soundcard (as well as the AGP video card)

i am almost convinced it is the video card but i know that is been working perfectly with my old motherboard (at 4x agp - hence the motherboard upgrade to getthe most out of it)

any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users