Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Support Center Blocking Bleepingcomputer.com?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johngsandell

johngsandell

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

I got tired of Dell Support Center slowing down my computer and tried to uninstall it. Didn't let me at first. Tried to get to bleepingcomputer.com to see if it had a solution. Got Page not found message. Got to a web page that had bleeping as a link. Got Page not found message.

In a command window did nslookup bleepingcomputer.com. Got a not found message. Did nslookup google.com., IP address was returned.

Located the Dell Support Center process in Task Manager and clicked End, process stopped, was then able to uninstall Dell Support Center. Did another nslookup of bleeping, got a proper answer. Entered it in URL and got to Bleeping.

So, is Dell Support Center blocking access to Bleeping? If so, is it blocking access to anything else?

If you want to stop Dell Support Center (this is 2.01 IIR) look for sprtcmd.exe in Task Manager and kill it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hello.

Bleeping Computer was experiencing some downtime today. It was out for a good 2 hours earlier. I wouldn't blame any program yet.

Were you having any other issues with it?

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 johngsandell

johngsandell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

No other issues regarding getting to Bleeping Computer.

The site might get queries on how to uninstall Dell Support Center. I have presented the solution that worked for me.

#4 johngsandell

johngsandell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

" Hello.

Bleeping Computer was experiencing some downtime today. It was out for a good 2 hours earlier. I wouldn't blame any program yet.

Were you having any other issues with it?

With Regards,
The Panda"

Wait a minute.... shouldn't nslookup return a result even if the site is down?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Bleeping Computer was down on 6/7/08 from approximately 10:30 am EST to 1:00PM EST. There was an issue at the colocation center that has since been resolved.

Colocation Center in computing, refers to installing or running data or applications in a single process, store, computer or data center. Virtualization is an example of colocation where a host server provides a virtual hardware or software platform for running one or more instances of software on a (potentially different) platform.}
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users