Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

I was running an installation for SkyAnytime. This is similar to the BBC IPlayer but for the Sky satellite network in the UK. As part of the install it needed to update WMP to version 10. Windows Update is now trying to apply Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399) . However, it either fails, or appears to complete, but then the Windows Update icon appears a few minutes later and tries to apply the update again. This just keeps happening again and again.

System is XP Home with SP2. I have Windows Update active and it has been applying all other updates without any problem until now.

Andrew

Edited by zimmer46, 07 June 2008 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Have you looked at your Windows Update history at the update website. I don't think I would use automatic updates to download WMP.

#3 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

Checked in the Windows Update Site and it shows Update Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399) has been successfully applied 14 times, all on 6th June. Yet I still get a notification that XP wants to keep installing the update.

To answer you other point. I agree, I would not have used Automatic Update to install WMP11. When I was installing the software for the Sky Player it was that install that aplied WMP10 ( yes thats WMP10 ) . Its since then that Windows Update has been trying to install the WM Format 11 SDK update.

Andrew

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:19 AM

You should probably uninstall WMP and then reinstall it. It looks like it's saying it installed but didn't install properly. But you might also want to talk to the Sky Player folks about why they're using an outdated version of WMP.

Edited by frankp316, 08 June 2008 - 05:21 AM.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

Try this as it may work too.
  • Download Dial-a-fix from http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
  • Unzip the file and double-click Dial-a-fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press double green checkmark "Check all"
  • Close all other open windows.
  • Press "GO" to start the process
  • REBOOT your computer afterwards(this is ver important)
Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 08 June 2008 - 06:54 AM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users