Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing Lcd Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crazy bill

crazy bill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hello everyone, I am going to get me a flat panel monitor, and I need some tech help/advice/recommendations.
desktop (shop built)
windows xp home, sp2 w/ ie6
512 mb memory. 2.8 ghz (gigabyte ga-81pe1000-g motherboard) do not have graphics card w/dvi, only vga.
I need to know the following:
1. what kind of graphics/video card i will need for both vga and dvi "medium price"
2. where would be best place to get and type/ model.
I have looked through many monitors on google, but since I do not know anything about them I thought some of you would provide me with links/information as to which is the "best" with price range 200/300 dollars.
Would like to know if I should get wide or 4:3 screen. also like to have tilt/hieght adj., USB hub, card reader.
Thanks for any help, links and information
Craazzy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

What is the make and model of the motherboard? We need to know what kind of card slot you have, AGP or PCI-E
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 crazy bill

crazy bill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

garmanma
Motherboard is a gigabyte g-1pe1000-g. It has 5 pci slots and 1 agp slot (where my vga cable is connected).
Thanks
Crazy

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

Video cards
http://www.newegg.com/
Plenty of choices

Monitors
Acer on sale
Many More
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 crazy bill

crazy bill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

garmanma
Thanks for the links, now for some help.
Will think of getting the Sapphire 100175l card, does this replace the one currently in my agp slot or do iI install it in a pci slot. Is there anything else I need to know to install and use.
will think of getting the view sonic vx2240w monitor. Will the vdi-d connect to card (it has vdi-i).
Any other suggestions/advice
Thanks
Crazy Bill

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

FWIW: http://computers.pricegrabber.com/video-ca...st=product_tab/

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

It will replace what you have in the AGP slot
The DVI-D cable that comes with the monitor will work. The extra pins on a DVI-I are for an analog signal

Edited by garmanma, 08 June 2008 - 02:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#8 crazy bill

crazy bill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

Hello garmanma and hamluis
Thanks for the informtion and links.
Still fuzzy about this but I am doing some research to find more indepth answersto:
1. what all I really need to do with my current system. It seems as if I have an out-dated computer (motherboard) as well as the monitor.
2. To find out "exactly what I need to do (have/use) in order to upgrade this one, and "how-to" guides.
So, again thanks for your help and after some research I will be asking for your help again

Crazy Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users