Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suppressing A Footer In Word

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

In Word 2002, how does one suppress a footer on one page only?

I have a contract that is a document that has two footers on each page. One is a short line for the initials of the parties to the contract with the word INITIALS below it. The other footer is the page number. On the last page there are signature lines for the parties so the line for initials is not needed.

Searching the Microsoft support site I discovered two possible options. I could not make either work.

The first option was to insert a section break as a next page on the next to the last page so that the last page was a different section. I did this and then deleted the initial line footer on the last page. It disappeared on all pages.

The second option was to insert a conditional field on the first page footer that read IF PAGE NUMBER < TOTAL PAGES "XX" where the XX was the line for initials. Alas I could not make that work either. (I am not experienced using fields and CTRL f9 or ALT f9.)

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I got this to work by using a conditional field. Here is what I did. Is there a better way?

I selected the text in the footer that I want on all pages except the last one.

I used a CTRL X to cut it.

I typed: IF PAGE NUMBER < TOTAL PAGE NUMBERS ''"

(Where PAGE NUMBER is the insert current page number function from the header / footerand tool bar and TOTAL PAGE NUMBES is the insert total number of pages function}

I pressed CTRL F9

I inserted the cursor between the quotation marks and inserted the text that I had cut.

I pressed F9.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hello there Hal06,

I've had my frustration, err fun, with headers and footers too. I have MS Word 2003 on my computer, so there might be a few differences, but I don't think there will be many.

Here's what I do:

Create the new section break.

Then go to View ==> Header/Footer and before deleting or adding any footer or header material unlink them. There is a toolbar that pops up when clicking on View ==> Header/Footer. It looks like this:

Posted Image

Click on the icon that I have boxed in red. This unlinks the headers or footers in question in the different sections. It will also link them if they were previously unlinked. Note: If you add more sections, you need to go through the unlinking process for all the sections if you want to unlink them. Note 2: If you have both headers and footers, you will have to unlink the headers and footers separately.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks. As best as I remember, Wordperfect was so much easier!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

You're welcome.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users