Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting At Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hi. I haven't gone to bleepingcomputer.com in a while since I haven't had any computer problems since they have last helped me fix a computer from very bad virus problems.

I have a five year old Dell Inspiron 8250 which has just recently had a problem during the start up. After the Dell page loads and I hit the Windows XP load page, the computer puts up a blue screen with font on it for about a quarter of a second and then restarts the computer. I've tried starting up in safe mode and it hasn't made any difference. I couldn't imagine it to be a very deep computer problem, since my computer was functioning just fine before this.

The only local computer repair place I know of is the Best Buy Geek Squad. I called them for information about how much they would charge to fix this computer, and they replied it would be $200! That is very likely more than my computer actually costs, and I'm not interested in paying this amount.

Is there anything I should try doing with my computer to fix it before I throw it in the dump?

Thanks a lot. If anyone knows of any more reasonable chain computer repair place, or even somewhere I could send my computer where the total cost would amount to up to $100, I would be interested in having any information about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

Turn on your laptop/desktop and keep hitting F8. Then go to the highlighted line in the picture. Then hit enter. Now make a photo of the BSOD (Blue screen of death) and reply.

Edited by Richard Fu, 07 June 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#3 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

Woops it's a Dimension 8250 desktop. Didn't make a difference though, I was able to follow the instructions and take the picture of the screen. Here's what I got:

Attached Files

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

That message normally means that your hard drive has a problem with it.
Pop the case and check that all of the cables connected to the drive are secure.

If that doesn't help, run chkdsk in the recovery console.
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/recover...y_console.shtml
The article explains how to start the recovery console.

Follow the instructions for chkdsk ONLY at this stage.

Do you have a recent backup? If your HDD can't be repaired, you might need to reformat.

Edited by tswsl1989, 07 June 2008 - 02:35 PM.

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'll have to try this out. Luckily, there isn't anything on my hard drive that I consider very valuable. I don't mind if I lose the hard drive as long as I save the computer.

Thanks, I'll get back to you soon.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hi,
I would like you to read these 2 topics, as it may help you with your BSOD.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403
Here's some info on the BSOD and what is causing it:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Old topic, but I feel bad for not replying. I ran chkdsk by setting the bios to boot from the Windows XP CD first thing and pressing 'R.' After running it, I rebooted and set the BIOS back to normal, and the computer worked fine. Thanks a lot guys. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users