Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grrrr.........spools.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mrsjlo

Mrsjlo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

I have windows Xp home edition on my computer. I called compaq and they had me run CKDSK /r to try and fix the problem but nothing is working. The guy I talked to told me to run the SDFIX from this site to fix it but here in lays the problem. I followed the on screen instructions, saved it to my desktop ect. then when I tried to install the program I get

16 bit MS-Dos Subsysytem error
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
The NTVDM CPU had encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:dad7 IP:b720 OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

It does this for everything. I can't run System Restore or anthing without getting the same error. Could someone please help.

Edited by Mrsjlo, 07 June 2008 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

would you try renaming sdfix.exe to sdfix.bat or .com

but first

Show Hidden Folders/Files
  • Open My Computer.
  • Go to Tools > Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
  • Select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide extensions of known file types.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Click Yes when prompted.
  • Click OK.
  • Close My Computer.

Edited by DaChew, 07 June 2008 - 08:56 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Mrsjlo

Mrsjlo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

I did like you said in the post above and went into my computer ect. I changed SDFix.exe to SDFix.bat. I ran the program and now all the computer does is reboot over and over again. When it was finished running I hit the key to restart the computer and it gets as far as the Windows XP screen and when the screens goes blank where you would usally pick your user (Admin or Guest) it goes right back to rebooting. So now it's not even getting as far as it did before. Grrrrr. I tried restarting it in Safe Mode and it does the same thing gets as far as that screen and reboots. I think it's time to toss the BLEEPINGCOMPUTER out the window.....lol.
Any help would be great ~ Thanks

Edited by Mrsjlo, 08 June 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

If you can't get to a command prompt in safe mode, then the infection is probably complicated by severe file corruption in windows, we can only guess what went wrong.

If you know someone with a generic real window's xp home oem disk you could run it as a repair disk, fix enough of the boot and system files to attempt a malware removal

This is just one example of waiting to apply powerful tools like sdfix until preliminary cleaning is done

A clean install is usually the best solution

I have had a few computers that wouldn't even boot as far as yours and the best I could ever figure after running a repair disk was just system file corruption from software and minor spyware/adware

Running a repair disk did not fix all the problems and we ended up doing a clean install

Edited by DaChew, 10 June 2008 - 05:59 AM.

Chewy

#5 Mrsjlo

Mrsjlo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Well I ended up calling Compaq again and he had me try and reinstall Windows XP from the harddrive since we don' have the CD's. Crazy thing tho..... when my hubby bought me my computer it came with the back up CD's (6 of them) yet when we bought our daughter hers as a Graduation present they said that Compaq no longer provides them with new computer :thumbsup: . But what ever. Anyways the back up files on the D drive were corrupted as well and so I had to buy her a copy of the CD's from HP. Not to bad only cost me $16.00 for them. Now we have to wait 5-7 days from them to come in and try it again.
Thanks for your help and I'll repost to let you know what happens. :flowers:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

after the reinstall stay off the internet until you have applied the latest drivers if needed and then the appropriate service
pack(s)
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users