Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display.exe?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 redstar19

redstar19

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:49 AM

hi, my first post is a problem.

i found display.exe. Task manager is unable to detect it.

I used PrcView(Process Viewer Application) to kill the process.

Then go to the folder and deleted it. I didn't empty the bin yet. Problem seem solve.

However that is this error message appearing when i switch on my labtop.

HideRun Error
Couldn't Create Process!

Do you have any idea what is this? I have search google, didn't provide any information.

it sems display.exe have to be around, then this error message will not appear.

I run Ad-Aware SE, SpySweeper, Stinger-1, Norton Anti-Virus with no help.

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:24 AM

K few things

Why did you delete this file? has it been scanned and confirmed its an infected file?

display.exe is common if you have “APC PowerChute Personal Edition” (common in laptops)
display.exe is also one of the filenames for the many Worms from back in 2000-2005.

What i did before this is removing display.exe and ethernet.exe. Both files are worm and goabot. They are still in my recycle bin. i have not empty them yet.

Doing some research I found this. On another tech forum.
What you need to do is go Here and download the tool then restore that display.exe and ethernet.exe DO NOT REBOOT!! then run that tool.

Let us know how it went!

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hello redstar19

I found this info. in the Bleeping Computer Startup Database. Do you have the PowerChute® Personal Edition installed? If you do you had best just leave it alone.

Name - APC UPS

Filename - Display.exe

Status - Y

Description - APC PowerChute Personal Edition status icon

STATUS KEY:

Y - This status flag means that this entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.

Easy-to-use, safe system shutdown software with sophisticated power management functions.
Link---> PowerChute® Personal Edition
The ideal choice for home battery backup users.
At the core of PowerChute® Personal Edition is graceful unattended shutdown which, in the event of an extended power outage, prevents potential data corrpution. Designed for exceptional usability, it provides first-time users with optimal protection based on APC's industry-leading power management expertise. Experienced users will appreciate the ability to tailor the software's behavior to their individual circumstances.

Edited by scarlett, 05 April 2005 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#4 redstar19

redstar19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

K few things

Why did you delete this file? has it been scanned and confirmed its an infected file?

display.exe is common if you have “APC PowerChute Personal Edition” (common in laptops)
display.exe is also one of the filenames for the many Worms from back in 2000-2005.

What i did before this is removing display.exe and ethernet.exe. Both files are worm and goabot. They are still in my recycle bin. i have not empty them yet.

Doing some research I found this. On another tech forum.
What you need to do is go Here and download the tool then restore that display.exe and ethernet.exe DO NOT REBOOT!! then run that tool.

Let us know how it went!

thanks guys for the fast response.

it is not APC PowerChute as i don't have that, should tell you all earlier. sorry.

i have downloaded the Symantec W32.Gabot FixTool and run it before posting this thread. But it detects nothing and it is clean.

Right now, i am running this FixTool again...take some time.

display.exe is found in
C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\daemon\system32

with display.exe around, the error message box will not appear.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

Maybe you should consider posting a Highjack This Log. This link will take you to the HJT Forum. Please read the pinned topics at the top. There you will learn all that you need to know regarding the the posting of your log. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum

Just please keep in mind that all Highjack This Team Members are volunteers. One must practice a little patience, when waiting for help. I promise you though that they will get to you as soon as they are able.

And above all do not attempt to work on your log yourself. And only take the advice from an official HJT Team Member. Which will show under thier name and avatar.

One more thing. Do not reply to your own post. As the Team keeps an eye out for zero replies. If they see a reply they will assume that someone is already helping you out. Then I'm afraid that you may get lost in the shuffle.
Posted Image

#6 redstar19

redstar19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

thanks! I will read the Hijack This Log. And post a log if necessary.

the FixGaobot detects nothing.

#7 xODINx

xODINx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

Hey. I have been having the same problem as Redstar19. I got the Hiderun error: Could'nt create process!
i was wondering you guys figured out anything else that could maybe help me. I sent Redstar19 a Message asking if he fixed the problem. Most likely he did and won't come back to the site. I checked his profile hoping to see where he all posted... sadly you can't see that on this site. So I was just posting to see if any of you guys found out anything else about this. (this has been a big problem for me since i can't connect to any server's or locate them. Meaning i dont have much access to alot of my stuff) The problem accured when my brother (1 year older then me) ran the program called "Registry Mechanic" hoping that it would fix stuff.. rather then it deleting -_-. I don't really know what it deleted, either does he but right after it asked him to restart the computer He accepted. Then when he came back it was all messed. He got a Hiderun error message once he logged in. lots of "could not contact Master server's" and "couldn't locate server's" so... i hope somone can Help i would love to have this computer fixed without having to pay a ton of money. Please help.

Edited by xODINx, 26 December 2005 - 04:30 PM.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

xODINx: This topic is months old without a clear resolution. Although the message that you are getting is the same, the reason that the message is appearing on your computer could be different than the originator of this topic.

I see that you posted a log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum. If your issue turns out not to be malware/spyware related, please create a new topic with a detailed description of your problem.

Thanks.
JC

#9 xODINx

xODINx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:06 AM

thanks and will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users