Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 randersonsdc

randersonsdc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

Hi. I was brought here by a chance of events that led me to the repairing of a seriously screwed up computer. In an attempt to kill pop ups on the computer I was working on, the owner deleted several registry files which in turn broke several important applications within the XP Core software. Task Manager was busted. broke, finito, and they were still getting some serious pop ups. God it was messy. Every ten seconds. It sucked. Anyways,

I downloaded a Windows Registry Repair program, ran it and found 850 problems with the registry. Fixed those, which in turn fixed the task manager problem.

XP's Task Manager BLOWS so I went to www.sysinternals.com and downloaded their awesome app, Process Explorer which replaces the task manager with a more user friendly detailed interface. ITS Just friggin steamin let me tell you.

It took me forever to get it to work tho, because I didn't know that the Microsoft built in Firewall also prevents you from running applications that interfere with core software processes, but I turned that off, and voila I had my task manager. The Manager popped up and there were a bleep load of infections that several other programs were runnng.

I tracked a majority of them down and deleted those. Then I had programs like binvga.exe, and wsup.exe that everytime I stopped the process it would move to run under another application. I looked up Binvga on google and was directed to this website and a forum thread that absolutely was awesome.

That my friends is why I'm here and how I got here.

R Anderson,
IC technician
US Navy.

Edited by randersonsdc, 05 April 2005 - 12:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:25 AM

Welcome aboard, randersonsdc.

Glad you found the site, helpful.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:14 AM

When you have some free time, review the excellent articles in the Tutorial section, and remember that BC also has a large startup application database.
You will find our friendly members more than willing to share expertise, experience, and knowledge with one another, so never hesitate to post a problem or ask a question.
Welcome to BC,
and many thanks for serving your country,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

:thumbsup: randersonsdc

Welcome aboard. :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic