Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem After Comodo Pc Tuneup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ursula

ursula

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

I am somewhat of a newbie running XP Home SP2. I use Comodo firewall, and have comfortably and successfully used system restore previously. However, after taking advantage of Comodo's free pc tuneup yesterday, my pc did several weird things, including freezing and refusing to turn off until I used reset button. It also sent more than 2000 copies of the same user settings file into the "my pending files"section of Comodo, and would not let me clear them.

After reset, the pc seems back to normal except when I try system restore, it shows boldface dates prior to my free tuneup, but nothing happens when I click on any of those dates. The manual restore point that the Comodo person entered prior to the tuneup does not even appear. Windows has automatically set restore points after the tuneup, but now I'm worried that I have some sort of malware that is preventing me from using a restore point prior to the tuneup (although scans using Windows Defender, Comodo and AVG 7.5 show nothing).
Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

Failures to complete system restore can be malware related. The following article will give you additional resources to use to check if indeed you are infected with something that your other utilities aren't picking up...Some of these are free and others you may have to subscribe to:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

I would pick a few of them and download them to you computer. Before using the scans I would disable my existing protection until the scans are complete. Then re-enable...Usually best to get updates before scanning also...Once the updates are loaded I would go off-line too.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 ursula

ursula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:10 AM

Thank you for reply Douglas. I'll look into those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users