Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

My home PC was giving problems with the ps mouse and keyboard so my local shop sugessted wiping the hard drive and re-installing xp as they suspected malware. This didn't help so I switched to usb mouse and keyboard and all is well. I have a new clean install of xp professional running fine. However I now find that the system cannot find my external usb hard drive that I used to back up all my stuff to before the install. This previously worked fine. Sometimes the system recognises a usb device but cannot find the right driver for it, sometimes it sees the hard drive but when I open it I can see the folders but cannot open any of them. The external drive is working fine with my laptop so I know it and the cable are fine. My home PC works fine with my 30gb archos and other usb devices so I don't know why the hard drive will not. I am sure you will need more info to try to help so please ask away.

Hope you can help!! Thanks all!

Haviland

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Don't Look Back

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

Error messages when you attempt to access this drive?

Louis

#3 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hi Louis, thanks for the response.

When it finds the drive I can see it (as drive H: and labelled correctly re size and space used etc.) and open the first folder or so then I get the message;

Windows - Delayed Write Failed.
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file H:$Mft

p.s. sorry for posting in the wrong area. thanks for the tidy up, animal.

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 07 June 2008 - 04:04 AM.

Don't Look Back

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

With the fresh install of XP, did you install the motherboard chipset drivers so the USB controller is being handled correctly by Windows?

Also, for you to get a delayed write failure, it seems the drive has the Optimize for Performance policy enabled. This can cause this problem with removable drives if there is an unexpected disconnection (which can include the USB interface "losing" the drive). Try changing the policy to Optimize for quick removal (in My Computer, choose Properties for the drive, Hardware tab, Properties again, Policies tab), and see if that changes your result. The purpose here is not for quick removal, but to disable write caching, to avoid MFT (Master File Table) update failures, which is what the error message is complaining of. I think it would be wise to run chkdsk on the drive as a precaution, using the system where the drive operates correctly. There may be existing errors in the MFT that chkdsk could correct.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

To add to Platypus's words...I sometimes get the delayed write failure message on one of my hard drives (I have no USB-connected drives) when one of the connections on a drive may be loose or some other minor problem fixable by chkdsk /r occurs. This is using both SATA and IDE drives on a single system.

Louis

#6 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Thanks guys,

I didn't install anything for the motherboard chipset drivers. I just ran xp and let it do it all. can I do something about this now? The drive is already marked optimize for quick removal so I have left that as it is. I will try chkdsk on my laptop today and see if it finds anything - then I'll post back again.

Haviland
Don't Look Back

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

If the system is a brandname like an HP, Dell etc you would be able to download motherboard chipset drivers from their support website.

If it's a generic system, and you don't know what motherboard it uses, you could use a utility like Everest Home to identify the board:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Likewise, you should be able to download chipset drivers from the appropriate website.

#8 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

OK, that is something else I can try. I have run chkdsk r on the drive and all is well. It is still operating fine on my Laptop but giving the same error message on my desktop when I try open some folders (I can sometimes open one or two files before the error occurs, sometimes it happens first thing. Could it be a ram issue? Can I do anything to test my RAM for problems. I have 512 with a 1.4 Athalon processor running xp pro).

Thanks for the help again.

Haviland

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 08 June 2008 - 04:00 PM.

Don't Look Back

#9 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Hi,

Here are the results from Everest;

Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 230 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT133A
Extra Features EasyTune III

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Information http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Produc...roduct_List.htm
BIOS Download http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Suppor...S/BIOS_List.htm

What do you recommend? Should I look for a bios upgrade or just look for motherboard chipset drivers?

Would the drivers be included in a bios upgrade?

Let me know if you need more info! Thanks to all,

Haviland
Don't Look Back

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

In the Motherboard section of Everest, does it give you a Motherboard Name? It's generally best to source the correct motherboard drivers from the board manufacturer, in this case Gigabyte, in case they have added any non-standard features.

However you should be able to quite satisfactorily use the Via drivers for the Apollo chipset:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...&CatID=1070

Via suggest using the legacy 4-in-1 drivers from the lower section of that page.

A BIOS update is only indicated if an issue can be clearly identified as being something that is resolved by a later BIOS.

#11 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi Platypus,

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at that but the last two days my net connection is very bad ( I use mobile broadband and my provider is having some problems recently). I'll have to wait for it to resolve before I can do much more. Will keep you posted.

ireland v australia in rugby this week, you take an interest?

haviland
Don't Look Back

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

No, never followed rugby, but I guess I've got to hope we thrash you? :D

#13 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

Not a big rugby fan either! :thumbsup:

Tried that ( the Via drivers for the Apollo chipset) but no luck. Still the same problem. Couldn't find the right drivers from Gigabyte. All my other usb devices are working fine on the system. Only that hard drive is failing. Could it be because of it's size (150gb)?
Don't Look Back

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

It's (IMO) just the normal flakiness shown by onboard USB...installing a PCI USB 2.0 card and using that...would probably save frustration. Examples of such follow.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...6&CatId=511

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

Louis

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

I second hamluis' suggestion. I just thought of a system at my workplace which has for some time been "losing" some (not all) USB devices, I checked and it is an Apollo chipset. It may well just be the on-board USB being a bit flakey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users