Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There Such A Thing As A Free Registry Cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

Ok, so I'm jeep! But I'm tired of down loading these registry programes that say they will clean my registry for me only to find out after they get my info that i have to buy it. Their tricky rascals, and freeware turns into shareware! I call that false advertising! Surly theres something out there that will take care of your registry errors without having to pay for it? I ran one program that said i had 180 errors but it would only fix 15 until i bought it. When i read that I got so mad a little black cloud formed over my head! I thought to myself, IT'S TAINTED---DARK SIDED---IT'S NOT CHRISTIAN!!!! lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

Do to the problems that we have experienced with members using registry cleaners improperly we don't endorse the use of these. If the cleaner is used improperly you can remove parts of the registry effectively making your OS useless.

If someone does suggest a utility and you do persist in using it, please back up your registry before you use it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Do to the problems that we have experienced with members using registry cleaners improperly we don't endorse the use of these. If the cleaner is used improperly you can remove parts of the registry effectively making your OS useless.

If someone does suggest a utility and you do persist in using it, please back up your registry before you use it.

Roger that! Thanks for the tip!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

...I think it would be wise to recognize "advertising" for what it is on the Web.

If I approach you...and tell you that you have some disease that I can cure...for a price...are you going to fall for that?

I suggest applying that same response to the suggestion that you need a "registry cleaner", especially so, if you have never edited or worried about the registry before today :thumbsup:.

FWIW: Every version of Windows comes with its own way of editing the registry...it's called Regedit and it won't hurt to learn a few things about it. It's not a "registry cleaner", but any person who desires to trust a "registry cleaner" should understand that there is a tool for making changes in the registry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

Additional information regarding the registry and the havoc you can wreak. By making changes additions or corrections without knowing what you're doing. See this: Demystifying the Windows Registry

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

...I think it would be wise to recognize "advertising" for what it is on the Web.

If I approach you...and tell you that you have some disease that I can cure...for a price...are you going to fall for that?

I suggest applying that same response to the suggestion that you need a "registry cleaner", especially so, if you have never edited or worried about the registry before today :thumbsup:.

FWIW: Every version of Windows comes with its own way of editing the registry...it's called Regedit and it won't hurt to learn a few things about it. It's not a "registry cleaner", but any person who desires to trust a "registry cleaner" should understand that there is a tool for making changes in the registry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Louis

Hmmm, insightful! Perhaps you make a good point? I am a bit on the gullible side. Especially when it comes to things i dont know anything about. The last time that happened i ended up with a wife and three kids! There was no refund policy either! So since I'm not having any problems with my registry I'll take your advice and hope your right on that! Thank you.

#7 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Additional information regarding the registry and the havoc you can wreak. By making changes additions or corrections without knowing what you're doing. See this: Demystifying the Windows Registry

Thanks kitty, I'm glad to see someone cares! I think that Hamluis guy is out to get me! I went to the link he provided but hafe way through it i developed a headache. I turned pale and fell to the floor in the fetal position. I've been in a coma every since. He gave me information overload. lol Don't worry though I'll be ok! The doctor said i might even be able to snap out of my vegetable state in about a week! Now your link on the other hand made since and i think with some careful study i could even use that information. However before i do I'll make sure i know what I'm doing. I have no plans to do anything as of now. Thank you! I like your icon!

#8 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

A small, but very useful program that I have used for years now is CCleaner. You can read all about it and download it at CCleaner.com. It has some very useful tools in it as well as a registry cleaner that has never failed me. (I've used it every couple of weeks for over 3 years). Just thought I'd give you a good option for what you originally asked for.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi,
Ccleaner is a great program to use,espically when helping you delete unnesscary temprorary file.
However please try not to use the Registry cleaner option, if something goes wrong, it can damage your computer.
I advise not using registry cleaners. If you HAVE TO then please remeber to back up the registry. That's the only advice I can give to you.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

I have used CCleaner for years without any problems - including the Registry Cleaner option. It has a very good reputation among users and I have never heard of any complaints.

As was said, if yoiu are concerned, backup the Registry first.

Alan
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#11 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:46 AM

A small, but very useful program that I have used for years now is CCleaner. You can read all about it and download it at CCleaner.com. It has some very useful tools in it as well as a registry cleaner that has never failed me. (I've used it every couple of weeks for over 3 years). Just thought I'd give you a good option for what you originally asked for.

Thank you, I'll take a look at it. Does it make your computer run better? Why did you think you needed a registry cleaner?

#12 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

Hi,
Ccleaner is a great program to use,espically when helping you delete unnesscary temprorary file.
However please try not to use the Registry cleaner option, if something goes wrong, it can damage your computer.
I advise not using registry cleaners. If you HAVE TO then please remeber to back up the registry. That's the only advice I can give to you.

Regards,
Extremeboy

I appreciate the advice. I'm not even sure i need a registry cleaner. I just thought it couldn't hurt to run one after all this time. Surly there are some errors that have accumulated by now that i could clean up or fix. These so called free registry programs you can down load say i do but according to hamluis their probably just scamming me. My point was, its better to have a program that knows what its doing do it rather than me and mess the registry up. Thanks for the input!

#13 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:13 AM

I have used CCleaner for years without any problems - including the Registry Cleaner option. It has a very good reputation among users and I have never heard of any complaints.

As was said, if yoiu are concerned, backup the Registry first.

Alan

Alan-lb your icon is scaring me! It looks like my mother in-law! I'm having marital flash backs! You know I'm fresh up out of my coma, cover that thing up! lol I hope your right about ccleaner. I'm going to go take a look at it right now and see for myself what its about. Thanks for the tip!

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

Thank you, I'll take a look at it. Does it make your computer run better? Why did you think you needed a registry cleaner?

I use CCleaner but I don't use the registry cleaner. Registry cleaners supposedly speeding up your computer has become an urban myth. I use CCleaner to automatically delete junk files, temp files, the recycle bin and cookies each time I boot up. too many junk & temp files can slow down your computer. Just be sure to save the cookies you want to keep and set it up.

#15 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Buckshotdad, all I can tell you is that CCleaner will clean your registry up. It will also clean up all the junk that Windows OS packs away for no reason. Like I said, I've never had a problem using CCleaner's registry cleaner. It asks you if you want to back up your registry before cleaning it, so just say yes and save a backup of your registry. If you're really worried about it, before you use it you can create a system restore point too. I don't think it helps in speeding up your computer a noticeable amount, but it isn't going to hurt anything to clean all the errors out. I've found over 500 errors on more than one PC that I've ran it on, but it hasn't sped them up at all.
If your PC is running slow, there's another tool in CCleaner you can use as well: the Startup item removal tool. If there are tons of programs starting up when windows starts, its taking up all your memory, making windows run slower. Other things to do: have you scanned for malware and viruses. A good virus scanner is good enough to keep a virus away, but you need 4 or more different spyware scanners to give your PC a good cleaning. Also, if your computer is older and has never been taken care of, running a good defrag will help speed it up as well.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users