Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reading The Bios

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hello again, Yesterday I was given help on a problem which required me to change the motherboard battery. I have found a retailer and am eager to try out these new erm 'skills'. However, I am unsure how to '...write down all of the settings from the various BIOS menus' and would be deeply grateful if someone could supply a link which I could print and refer to when attempting this erm 'job'. I am not very computer literate, but I do try, so any pointers would be gratefully received. :thumbsup:

Cheers, BoltonByrd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

To access the BIOS, press keep pressing F2 when your computer starts up (well, thats how it is for my computer :thumbsup: ), and the BIOS will load.

once loaded, there is a key for how to move around the BIOS. :-)

Hope thats what you wanted to know.

#3 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Thank you dark messenger.

What I want to know is, which bios do I have to make a note of for when I change my motherboard battery. :thumbsup:

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

Although this is not a cleaning process, if your PC is more than a couple of years old this might be a good time to change the CMOS battery - usually a round, silver-coloured button battery e.g. Energiser CR2032 Lithium 3v. The battery 'pops' out of its holder with a little pressure on the side near the clip and the replacement slips in. Note: Changing the battery may reset some BIOS options to factory defaults so If you have complex BIOS settings because of SATA drives, USB keyboards, RAID controllers or network parameters for example it would be best to note down all the settings before changing the battery and check for changes afterward

Taken from tutorial on cleaning PC...

Edited by douglas martin, 06 June 2008 - 10:18 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

The F2 key is usually used in Dell computers to enter the BIOS, most other computers will use the Delete key to enter the BIOS.

If the battery is too weak to maintain the date time you probably have already reverted back to the default settings of the BIOS. So if you aren't having any other problems than the date and time you shouldn't have any problems. The only thing that I can think of that could be a potential problem is if you have a USB type keyboard or mouse, some motherboards require these devices be enabled in the BIOS. If this is the case you will want to have a PS/2 keyboard, this will work, so you will be able to access the BIOS and make the necessary changes in the BIOS.

If you have to go into the BIOS, there will be notations indicating how to navigate to the different areas, how to change values, and how to select.

Don't worry, if you make any mistakes you can simply choose to return to the default values. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for all for the replies.

I did try the F2 key but nothing happened, I'm pleased to see it wasn't because of anything I did/or didn't do! (I dont have a dell).

It is only the date and time that is affected, so I SHOULD be ok just removing and replacing the battery.....yes?

If anyone does have a printable link....that would be great! :thumbsup:

Cheers, BoltonByrd

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

"It is only the date and time that is affected, so I SHOULD be ok just removing and replacing the battery.....yes?"

You should be good to go. If you have any problems let us know, there won't be any insurmountable issues.

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2008 - 10:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thank you very much!

Off to the retailer, then back to do my 'techy' work....wish me luck! :flowers:

Cheers all, BoltonByrd :thumbsup:

#9 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

As dc3 said earlier, if F2 doesnt work, try the delete button.

Good luck

#10 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Just to say thanks again, I have now changed my motherboard battery. :thumbsup:

Regards, BoltonByrd

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Glad to hear of you success! :thumbsup:

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

The BIOS saves certain settings when you change them. The battery ensures that these changes are saved. If you lose battery power, the system reverts to it's original condition. That being said, if you haven't changed anything in the BIOS, then there's no need to save anything - just reset the date and time when you're done and all will be well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users