Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Office

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pdbailey

pdbailey

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

My new Acer only came with a 60day free use of Office ... looking for a cheap option as all I use is Excel and PP ... noted on eBay that Open Office claims to be "clones" and way cheaper.

Anyone use Open Office and if "yes" .. how do you like it?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

I use OpenOffice.org 2.4 regularly on my own PC, and I absolutely love it. I never quite got the hang of Office 2007, and when the trial ran up on mine, I also got OOo. My only complaint with regard to it is on the Microsoft side: they need to have the ability to import without the use of a plug-in. But, considering you can save in Microsoft formats, that's not too big of a problem, is it?

#3 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

noted on eBay that Open Office claims to be "clones" and way cheaper.

The program is free and can be downloaded from: http://download.openoffice.org/
There are also paid versions, but as far as I know, you pay only for additional things, not the OpenOffice itself...

I find the program very good - some things you can do faster than in MS Office... Anyway it takes a little time to get to know the program..:thumbsup:.
c18903e63196580f.gif
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

I do use MS office but used OpenOffice before that. The main reason for the switch is that MS office has a better spell checker.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have been using OO.o for several years now, without any problems. For the most part (unless your WP sheets are very complex, or you use a lot of macros in your spreadsheets) the OO.o files are readily translatable to MSOffice files (except 2007, soon to be rectified; but then most organisations have been hesitant to convert to 2007 ,anyway). There is fairly good on-line documentation, and a user forum with many people willing to answer your questions or help with problems.
I found the transition from MS Office to OO.o fairly easy, since the user configuration and icons are similar. That you also get a presentation and a database module with OO.o is certainly a plus.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

Been using OpenOffice for a few years and don't have any problems.
Highly recommend.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 pdbailey

pdbailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

thanks all.

I downloaded OO and didn't check anything but an Excel spread sheet and ... no problems.. Looks like a winner. Will contribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users