Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

World's First Air-powered Car!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

India’s largest automaker is set to start producing the world’s first commercial air-powered vehicle. The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy Nègre for Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air, as opposed to the gas-and-oxygen explosions of internal-combustion models, to push its engine’s pistons. Some 6000 zero-emissions Air Cars are scheduled to hit Indian streets in August of 2008.

I love it!! :thumbsup:

More:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...rs/4217016.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thats really cool, I wonder what it will do to fuel prices.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

We want them in the USA by 2008....Ugly or not some people would drive them until a pretty model came out. I mean they drive prius cars(I think they are ugly too, some dont)

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

I agree with you CGM3. I don't think most people care about looks as much anymore. The big problem will be safety issues. The displayed model is glued together... Hmmm a whole new meaning to gorilla glue :thumbsup:

I am ready for those types of cars to mature and make it to the marketplace.

I don't know if you saw it, but take a look at this car. Tesla Sweeeet!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Compressed air is one of the least efficient ways of storing energy. Back track to the real cost of running something like this and I thing you will gain a new appreciation for your ICE vehicle.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

yeah, compressed air is pretty horrible for power. Chemical reactions are where its at!

For the most part, other types of propulsion for cars are going to use just as much power to operate as gasoline powered cars.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#7 Mariana_X

Mariana_X

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

August 2008??? Will they have it all figured out by then?? One would think that the car will have many faults at the beginning.. I had never heard of this before but hopefully they got all the research right!

Well I drive a crappy looking car that uses gasoline, so why not at least drive a crappy looking car that's good for the enviroment? =)

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

I wonder -

as an accessory for that air-powered car, do they sell a gas-powered compressor that provides 10 miles of compressed air for every gallon of gas it uses?

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

I favour Electric Cars.Don't like the idea of sitting on top of pressurised cylinders.If a Hydrogen Tank exploded under you,you would be joining the Space Station. Takes a huge amount of energy to compress any gas.
From what I have read,I think Electric Cars will win out in the end,especially with new Battery Technology.
Electro Magnetic Motors are also an exciting new field. Air Cars,sound good but can't see a future.

#10 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

electric cars, or cars that split water as they go are the most likely candidates for future "green cars" Of course, I really don't think CO2 is that big of a deal... I mean, its in the air naturally, and its just going to make it easier for plants to use... and they'll absorb the heat too...

Posted Image
My art

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

It's all about reducing our demand for Oil,and CO2 emissions.We consume more Oil, than we can produce,forcing us to buy off shore,and being at the mercy of Oil producing Countries, are ruining our Economies.Becoming less dependant,is the main reason for looking for alternatives,to Gas guzzling, Oil burning monsters.IMO.

Edit. Speeling.

Edited by DSTM, 07 June 2008 - 11:04 PM.

#12 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

or cars that split water as they go ..

It takes more energy to split the water into H2 an O2 than you can get back by burning it again. Don't fall into the perpetual motion trap. The laws of thermodynamics are well proven.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#13 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

nuclear cars

:D

actually, if they found a good catalyst.. it would work well... but you can use electricity to split the water, which would work. I suppose its just another thing in the way though.

Posted Image
My art

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

I don't see how compressed air would be very good. When you press down on the ?pedal? to pass someone, would it sound like a fart? Or maybe a balloon flying around? Air just does not seem logical to me... But then, I don't claim to be a jeeni-us... :thumbsup:

Back in the late 70's I read a magazine article about some college kids who built a car that would get 1000 mpg. They drove it from New York to California, unfortunately it did not get 1000 mpg. They had to stop for gas, once. It had a picture of the guys shaking hands with somebody, I think from General Motors, since that is who they sold the car to.
Did anybody else see that? What happened to the car?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

Back in the late 70's I read a magazine article about some college kids who built a car that would get 1000 mpg. They drove it from New York to California, unfortunately it did not get 1000 mpg. They had to stop for gas, once. It had a picture of the guys shaking hands with somebody, I think from General Motors, since that is who they sold the car to.
Did anybody else see that? What happened to the car?

Can't remember that specific case, but Stan Meyers comes to mind.
So many brilliant Inventors have fell to fowl play,when you research the subject.
You had 1 of 3 options.
1 Sell us your Patents.
2 Destroy your inventions and stop all research.
3 Do as we say or suffer the consequences.
So many have been Murdered,poisond,you name it.
Many of these brilliant inventions, are in the vaults of large Car Manufactures.
Here is an interesting link,of which there are so many on the Net.

http://waterpoweredcar.com/inventors.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users