Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Restore My Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whatthe****

whatthe****

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:09 AM

i got virus heat and was trying to remove it,,,, i did regedit and i was deleting the H_Keys,,,i just kept deleting things and now nothing works,,,, i tried to do a system restore but when i clicked on it it says that windows cannot open this file and then prompts you to pick a file to open it from,,, i tried to put in my OS cd but it won't run,,,how can i fix this,,help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:26 AM

Messing with the registry is a risky task especially when one hasn't back it up? Did you manage to backup the registry before removing any of the keys?

I am not sure... you may have to format and re-install the OS.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

I would suggest trying to boot into the last good configuration...Restart the computer...Tap F8 until a black screen comes up select "Boot into Last Good Configuration" hit enter... It may or may not work...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Go into the BIOS, and change your boot order so that your CD drive is the first to be booted. Then put your CD in the computer and save the changes and restart. You will get a message saying press any key to boot from CD.. Press any key and the windows installation will load. You should be able to choose to either install, repair, access recovery console and quit. (repair may be an option after you hit install, I cant remember). Choose repair.. If you cant find it, I think it would be a safe option to click install, choose the option to reformat first. this will delete everything off your computer so if you can make ups of any data that you want to keep first, that would be very wise. :-)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

If you are not familiar with how to run a last good configuration or a repair installation the links below will provide you with helpful information.

How to perform a Last Known Good Configuration.

How to perform a XP Repair Installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users