Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Step-by-step Help Using Acronis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lliztiz

lliztiz

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

I have the latest build of Acronis v.11, and want to back up my PC so that if it crashes, I don't have to start from scratch again. Despite reading all the directions and looking on-line at things like Grover Hatcher's Guide to ceating a basic full disk archive, I am not sure what it is that I should be backing up and which drives I need to rename. I have used computers for years and used to think I was pretty good at it, but this software is driving me crazy.

- Do I back up both drive C as well as the 3 FAT partitions? When I include the FAT partitions in the backup, Acronis warns me that the FAT partitions may contain errors and I should use my computer's program to see if they do.
- Is FAT a drive or a partition or both??
- Can I make separate full backups-- one of the C-drive, the other of the FAT drives?
- If I do need to check out the FAT drives, how do I do that?
- Do I need to assign unique disk volume names to the 3 FAT partitions? If so, how do I do that?
- Do I need to assign a unique disk volume name to the hard disk (Drive D) that I am using to do the backups?
- Why is it so hard to use this software? Can anyone guide me to a real step-by-step guide that is not directed toward a computer pro?

Thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:00 AM

I think that part of you problem is a lack of definitions, so let's see if I can help out a little bit here.

A partition is an allocation of space on the hard drive, this can include all of its space , or it can be allocated into two or more partitions, the hard drive will maintain about 15% of its space for swap space.

Formatting a partition is where you choose the file system that you wish to use. Windows uses two types of file systems, FAT32 and NTFS. FAT32 (File Allocation System) files are the last in the evolution of the FAT file system, the new generation is the NTFS (New Technology File System).

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2008 - 05:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:07 AM

http://www.ugr.com/
http://www.whatsabyte.com/
http://download.acronis.com/pdf/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thanks so much for clarifying things. So, I gather from this, that my drive C includes both NTSF and FAT partitions. I also gather that the terms drive and disk are interchangeable. I think I get it now. Thanks.

Thanks so much for clarifying things. So, I gather from this, that my drive C includes both NTSF and FAT partitions. I also gather that the terms drive and disk are interchangeable. I think I get it now. Thanks.

#5 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Garmana,

Thanks for the excellent links on how to use Acronis :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users