Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email problem while using Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swilson

swilson

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

I have a yahoo address that I have had for probably 6-7 years. I have on occassion had this same problem, but always been able to resolve it, but not this time.

I use OE to send/receive emails. For about the past week, I have gotten hardly any email. I usually get between 100-150 emails daily (mostly junk, but some good in the mix too). For the past week, I have been only getting about 5-10 a day into this account. This has happened in the past and I would run McAfee with most current updates and/or Adware/Spybot and it would then download any/all emails and the problem would resolve. However, I have tried that this time with no luck. Even if I go to Yahoo webpage and check from there, there are no emails.

I suspect that the email address has either been hijacked or something else is going on, but I don't know how to fix it and Yahoo Tech support is of NO USE!!!! They said, "oh I sent a test email and it seems to work fine."

Does ANYONE???? have any suggestions about this? I know that I am also missing emails from people I would like to hear from.

Thanks for any help.
Shona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:27 PM

Have you tested it yourself, by sending yourself emails from various other clients? If there is a problem, it may be that these will be returned to you with an error message that would help resolve the problem.
The problem does not reside in your computer or email application, since there appear to be fewer Emails when you review them on-line before they are transmitted to your computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:34 AM

I have tested it myself from another one of my email addresses and have not gotten back a error message. I know also that when I ask a friend to send me an email, hers tends to also come through. However, I also signed up to receive email notification of replies from this board, and I did not receive that email either.

Is there a possibility that the name has been taken over and setting changed by someone else? Should I just change my email address (or add another one) and use that one primarily and see if the initial address ever straightens itself out.

I am quite puzzled on this issue, but I know something is going on with it, just don't know how to resolve it.

Regards,
Shona

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:46 AM

Since there does not appear to be any consistency in what does not show up, and you get, at least, some Emails, it doesn't appear that your address has been taken over; nor have I seen anything to suggest Yahoo is having technical problems out of the ordinary.
I presume you have checked your Yahoo Email junk file online, to be sure wanted mail has not turned up there. Since you cannot determine if there is, in fact, a problem, and all your test Emails have made it to your inbox, you may just be having a temporary email dry spell.
It makes sense to have several Email Addresses from several sources. You might wish to create a new address just for friends and family, and never give it out or use it for anything but commications with them, and several for use on the Web when you need to provide an address, and one for use in posting or group subscriptions. This might be an opportune time to do this.

Regards,
John

#5 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

Thank you so much for your help. Maybe that is the just the problem. It just seemed weird that this happened all the sudden. I will continue to watch it to see if anything else comes up with it.

Again, thanks for your help.

Shona

#6 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:04 PM

John,

I wanted to give you an update and new finding. I am still not sure of the problem or cause of this, although I suspect a virus or something along those lines.

I have been using Outlook for about 2 months. I previously used Outlook Express for many years as my email program but about 2 months ago switched over to Outlook. Outlook seemed to work fine up until about a week ago when I noticed that I wasn't getting in mail. I decided today to open up Outlook Express and see if there was anything in there. When I did (and it downloaded everything since the last time I hit the send/receive button-although I think the reason for that is a totally seperate issue) there were emails from teh last week that never came into my Outlook stuff. I think for some reason it was downloading from yahoo to the Outlook Express holding folder for me to start Outlook Express. It seems to be working much better know and I am just goign to continue to use Outlook Express from here on out.

Thanks again for all your help.
Shona

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:21 PM

You might have OE set to download automatically, which it obviously did before Outlook polled the server to get your messages (and therefore found none, and none were there when you looked online because they had been downloaded into OE). I would imagine that changing OE settings would fix that problem if you really want to use Outlook.
Regards,
John

#8 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:02 AM

How do I change those settings?

Thanks for your help.

Shona

0 user(s) are reading this topic