Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Bios

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bealer46

bealer46

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

:thumbsup: i have a computer that wont boot unless i remove the cmos battery and unplug the power cord for a while.it will then display a screen showing a checksum error in bios then boot normaly.i have an hp pavilion d4100e with a asus a8ae-le mobo.it runs pheonix award bios v 6.00pg.is it possible to flash the bios and if so where can i find the program.any information is greatly apreciated thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

What is the exact wording of the checksum error? This is usually a CMOS checksum error, which relates to the storage of BIOS settings in CMOS memory that is part of the real time clock, not a fault in the BIOS's own flash RAM chip.

If it's a CMOS checksum error, have you tried using a new battery? The existing one may be just failing to hold the CMOS data, so the BIOS gets corrupted settings data at boot.

If the BIOS itself had a checksum error due to a faulty flash RAM chip, removing the CMOS battery would not correct this, and the BIOS chip would have to be replaced.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bealer46

bealer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

the screen reads,U M B upper limit segment address f000h .defalt bios settings have been loaded due to bios update or checksum issue.i'm kind of new to computing.maybe it's time to shop for a new mobo.i replaced the cmos battery and had the same results.what do you think.thanks bealer 46

Edited by bealer46, 05 June 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#4 bealer46

bealer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

the screen reads,U M B upper limit segment address f000h .defalt bios settings have been loaded due to bios update or checksum issue.i'm kind of new to computing.maybe it's time to shop for a new mobo.i replaced the cmos battery and had the same results.what do you think.thanks bealer 46

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

If you've flashed the BIOS to update it, this may be the result of a bad flash (and may require a new BIOS chip or motherboard)
If not, then it seems to indicate an issue within your BIOS (since you've replaced the battery) - I'd suggest visiting the HP website for instructions on how to flash the BIOS and for the download: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=501193
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bealer46

bealer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

thanks every one for your help.i bought a new mobo.i could'nt find a socket 939 mobo so i got socket 775 with a intel dual core.i read everything i could.installed it .this was the first mobo swap iv'e done.everything worked the first time.i got lucky and its faster.thanks again.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

Is this a new installation of XP that you are currently using with this new motherboard?

The reason that I ask is that there is a potential problem when you take a hdd with windows installed which has been seeing the chipset of one motherboard and introducing it to another motherboard with a different chipset. This can confuse the OS and require it to be reinstalled. These results may not appear immediately, so if you OS system is functioning normally now I would back up all of your important files.

This article explains this problem, it also provides a link to Microsoft which addresses it as well.

I know that there are some lucky people out there that have gotten away with doing this, but most aren't so lucky.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 bealer46

bealer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

i read something about os not working with a strange chipset.so i wiped the hard drive before i pulled the old mobo.then with the new mobo installed the os.i have all the drivers and most of the programs that i use on cds.this is a great fourm.i'm glad i found it. i got most of the information i needed right here.thanks for the headsup

#9 vinaykumar

vinaykumar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

Flashing bios means you are going to take the life of the mother board.Because in some cases after flashing bios,the mother board may become weak and it would not be support and work.So it is better to order the company or it is better to replace the another bios which suit for your motherboard. It will be availble in the spairs market.

Edited by vinaykumar, 15 June 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Flashing bios means you are going to take the life of the mother board.Because in some cases after flashing bios,the mother board may become weak and it would not be support and work.So it is better to order the company or it is better to replace the another bios which suit for your motherboard. It will be availble in the spairs market.

The worse case scenario when flashing the BIOS would be a failed BIOS, it would only effect the EERPOM chip that the BIOS is stored on, it would not have any other effect on the motherboard itself. This would effectively mean that the computer wouldn't work at all. This could be remedied by purchasing another EEPROM chip from the motherboard manufacturer with the current BIOS installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users