Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Of A Sudden I Have No Permissions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moshiachnow

moshiachnow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

I am using Windows XP Pro, SP2. Yesterday, after editing a video, I went to open another program and got the following message:

We cannot access the specified drive, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access them.

I got this message whenever I tried to open any application.

So I figured a reboot might help. I went to restart my PC and got an error message that says:

You do not have permission to shut down and restart this computer.

I had to do a hard restart. Same thing. I restarted it again, in safe mode. Everything works fine in safe mode.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Yosef

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

Corrupt Admin account?
http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instructions but still have the same results. Even the new username had no permissions. What is weird is that I CAN open the same applications what will not open in normal mode, in safe mode. Something must be running in normal Windows that is screwing up everything.....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Malware has been known to affect user access and permissions.

Louis

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hello moshiachnow,

Are you using Trend Micro 2007?

"Windows cannot access the specified device when using Trend Micro 2007":

https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...2015089#2015089

Even if you are not using Trend Micro 2007, you might want to read the entire thread.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Try running the RRT (Remove Restrictions Tool)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

I tried the most recent suggestions. I do not use Trend Micro, but I do use Comodo for a firewall, but I did not see explorer.exe blocked there. I also tried the permission restoral tool, but it did not seem to help. I did a repair with my Windows disk. When the repair finished, things seemed back to normal. I could open applications, no permission error messages. However, after I installed SP2, the problem came back. I am getting another hard drive anyway, I may wind up just doing a clean install on the new drive and starting over......

Edited by moshiachnow, 06 June 2008 - 08:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users