Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move/copy Outlook Address Book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kimco

kimco

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

My main computer developed a virus that I could not remove due to how it took control of the computer. I got a new disk and did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro. I reinstalled my Office 2003 which includes Outlook. I put my old C drive in as an extra drive (E) and can see all the files. I copied my Outlook.pst files to the new drive. When I started up Outlook, it had all the messages from my folders (inbox, sent, etc.). However, it does not contain my address book.

Where is the address book on the disk? What is it's name? How do I get it from the old drive. I cannot boot on the old drive and run Outlook to export it and then import it to the new drive. I cannot do anything on the old drive after booting it up.

I want to just copy the file to the new disk just like I did with the pst file. Is that possible? How do I do it?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Off the top of my head, it should be a .wab file
Pay attention to step 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Edited by garmanma, 05 June 2008 - 06:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kimco

kimco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

That appears to be for Outlook Express. I am using Outlook, not Outlook Express.

I searched for a .wab file and there is one but that is not, in my case, the address book. The date on it is 2005 and I have made entries since. I copied it over anyway and that did not do anything.

As I mentioned, I cannot run the program on the old disk. I cannot run anything. The virus has taken over so I cannot do anything, including running clean up programs. I cannot even get into Safe Mode.

Therefore, I cannot go into the program and export it to a file or disk or .csv file......

I can only copy a file.

#4 kimco

kimco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

I solved the problem. Got the answers on what to do here:

http://home.indy.rr.com/russval/addressbook.htm

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

Thank you for the post with the solution. Glad you got it solved
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users