Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Bios?! How Am I Even Alive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Starting up, at the black screen, says No Bios Disc Installed! No SSCI Bios Found!

That's their exclamation point. Shall I worry?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hello.

It seems like your hardware components are just taking a few seconds to be recognized. I don't think it's anything serious if you are not experiencing any issues with it otherwise.

Not sure at all what the acronym "SSCI" is.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

You probably need to replace the motherboard battery. Unplug the computer and take off the side cover. The battery is a small round coin sized silver object on the motherboard. Gently pry it out, noting which side is up. Replacements can be purchased at office supply stores or drug stores, in the hearing aid and watch battery section. When starting the computer back up for the first time, you will need to enter the BIOS and reset the date and time. This can be done,usually by tapping the delete key when turning the computer on
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sometimes...the regular BIOS will reflect a RAID setup or boot option (IIRC) or SATA drives (or options) as "SCSI", I believe.

I'd just go into the BIOS and check the boot options as they are currently listed...and adjust them, if necessary.

Does your system have SATA hard drives?

Louis

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

I agree with hamluis' suggestion. If the board has a RAID controller without drives attached to it (ie the hard drive is attached to the support chipset I/O controller), there will usually be a message something like "No drives detected, BIOS not loaded". (It may specify SCSI BIOS.) Disabling the unused RAID controller in the BIOS setup will prevent the message from being displayed.

Edited by Platypus, 05 June 2008 - 06:00 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

thanks for the replies. You have all given me more food for thought: I don't know what SATA means but I will find out. I ran belarc and didn't see that under drives. I also will look for RAID. The message is not bothersome to me now, but I was worried a wee bit. I will change the battery also, that'll be a new experience.
Thanks again.
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

This link might be useful: http://whatis.techtarget.com/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2008 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users