Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

File Sharing Over Small Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 greenfury

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

I have been struggling relentlessly with sharing files over the network connection in my small business office. I'm the computer 'guru' at work, and I'm starting to feel incredibly stupid because nothing I try works!

My co-worker has a file folder of drawings on his computer, and I occasionally need to access them. Our workgroup name is BUSINESSNAME, and I am able to add a Network Place for the folder I need to access, for example: \\jdoe\My Documents\Drawings, which is exactly what it is, except his name isn't J Doe. I can open files from this folder, but when I open them (they're AutoCAD files, not that it matters), I get a message saying they're Read Only. When I look at the files, behold, they say they are NOT read only.

On his end, I have this folder marker for sharing AND I have given other users permission to access and modify his files in this folder (by accessing Properties - Sharing and checking both appropriate boxes).

If I open the file as Read-Only, I can view and modify (but not save) it. That's all dandy, but then I NEED to save the file under another file name back to HIS original Drawings folder. It won't let me do that. I get an "Error writing/closing file."

So then I thought, why not try saving to my My Documents folder and then copy/paste the files to his folder? I tried that, and I got an Access denied error. I checked permissions on all files and folders involved - still fine, but I kept getting the error.

I tried opening a brand new file in Notepad and saving this new file in coworker's folder - no go. I got an error.

Obviously something about the permissions has to be wrong, but I have no clue what it is. Meanwhile, I want to rip my hair and/or set myself on fire.

Any help? Or rather, PLEASE HELP ME. :thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   18.02KB   15 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   5.85KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   14.58KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   10.89KB   17 downloads

Edited by greenfury, 05 June 2008 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greenfury

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

My husband has suggested perhaps the issue lies with the My Documents folder itself, and that it isn't intended to be shared. Is that it?

#3 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

I'm moving you post to our networking forum.
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hey there! First off, you can share your My Documents folder.. Is the person who you're trying to send the file to accessing the file at the same time? Sounds like it could be some type of sharing violation.. You may also want to check the permissions settings, to make sure that you have permission to "write". You can be given access to a folder/file, but not have permission to change them.

#5 tos226

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

In XP-home I think what's being shared is the entire folder and not specific files.
The exact wording on the folder properties is in the middle of the share dialog.

The coworker who owns ...\Drawings needs to issue permissions. Elaborating on LynnKnows2's answer:
check Share this folder on the network
fillin the sharename (keep it short, 12 characters max)
check Allow network users to change my files.

Then setup restrictions in the users list in the office as to who can really change things :thumbsup:

#6 JeremyTM

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Try this //192.168.1.what ever the computer IP is your trying to access//

Let it populate the shared files on that computer. Once you get to the shared folder, go to the top of explorer and click tools then map network drive.

#7 primary1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Can multiple computers map to the same drive letter on the "server"? Or must each mapped drive letter be different?

Old thread LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users