Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello From Rural New Jersey

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew Koenig

Andrew Koenig

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

I'm probably a little unusual on this forum:

I've been using computers since 1967, when a large data center was needed to contain a computer with about as much functionality as an embedded chip on a wristwatch these days.

I worked at AT&T for 26 years, in the various incarnations and fragments of Bell Labs, until I retired 5 years ago. During that time I was deeply involved in developing and standardizing the C++ programming language. I was the project editor -- the person who "held the pen" -- for both the 1998 and 2003 C++ standards. I also wrote or co-wrote three books about C or C++, as well as a few book chapters and nearly 200 technical articles.

So I know a fair amount about C++. I've also worked in a number of other programming languages, and had my hands in the Unix operating system kernel for a while.

Despite this experience, I am definitely in the amateur category when it comes to Windows. It's just too complicated, and life is too short to keep up with the constant churn in the user interface--especially when that user interface is defined by people at the other end of the country. These days I would rather use computers than tinker with them, and what I'm using them for is mostly making music. I've started learning about synthesizers, especially modular synthesizers, and recently bought a Nord G2, which I think is an amazing piece of engineering.

So here I am, with four decades of general experience and only as much specific Windows experience as I need in order to get by. Fortunately, there are fora such as this one in which I can find out specific details as I need them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Welcome to BC, a friendly and helpful user community!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users