Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Switch Computer No Longer Reliable Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nyctor

Nyctor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi

I recently helped out an ex-coworker who had just bought new memory for her computer (computer A) (Dell Dimension 4600) and asked me to install it. I have installed memory countless times never with a problem.
After installing the memory the computer no longer powered on at all. I tried unplugging everything except the Mobo still no power on, but when i unplugged the F-panel it booted right when i unplugged it, could never get that to repeat. I took the Power supply unit out of computer A and tried it on a second known working computer(computer :thumbsup:, Computer B no longer booted. I put a new known working PSU into computer A and it booted. her original computer had two sticks of 256k ram (sticks 1 and 2) she bought a new stick 512k(stick 3) when Sticks 1,2,3 are in it did not properly boot or show any signal to the monitor. sometimes it would beep once and the PSU fan would turn on and the CPU fan would turn on and the case fan would turn on, however no signal to the monitor. some times with Sticks 1 2 and 3 in it it gives several long beeps and no signal to the monitor. Assuming memory problem I took sticks 2 and 3 out. so only one of her original sticks were in. Booted fine three times in a row. however when I hit shutdown or restart the screen gets distorted with screwy lines all over and it freezes. With three successful restarts I put in ram stick 2 so now her computer has what it started with. this time boot up went normal until the windows splash screen where after about 5 seconds of seeing the splash screen screwy lines went across the screen and it froze up. sometimes with her original ram in (sticks 1 and 2) the front led lights won't come on but all the fans will, and no signal to the monitor, sometimes it will go screwy, sometimes it will boot up fine, sometimes the led light on front will just go orange. I tried the new stick of ram alone and it just seems random on whether it starts up or not or goes screwy. Tried with different known working ram (three different sticks) Stick one (starts up fine, shut down goes screwy) stick 2 ( goes screwy when windows splash screen appears) stick 3 no start up at all). Going to go run memtest86 on the computer for each individual stick of her ram.

The new memory is the same voltage and same speed.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

If the memory tests good, then I'd have to suspect an issue with the motherboard - most likely with the slots that the memory sits in. Ensure that the slots are clean and dust free - and check (with a magnifying glass if necessary) to ensure that there's no physical damage to the slots.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

No visible damage to the slots, slots are also clean and dust free.

Thanks,

Nick

#4 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

memtest86 froze at 59% on first stick of RAM, idk what that means. wanted to run it again but couldn't get computer to boot up at all with it in.

running it on the third stick now(the new stick) which I also used to just boot into windows successfully but does not shut down successfully

#5 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Memtest86 on the third stick of RAM (the new RAM stick) stalled at about 30% and the test screen disappeared, being replaced by a screen of mostly blue with black lines running through it.
NOTE: This was NOT the BSOD.
I have no idea what this may mean, but I'm starting to think that the slots for the memory aren't good.
2nd stick froze memtest86 at about 40% now trying it in the third mem slot. has this happened to anyone else before?

Edited by Nyctor, 05 June 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#6 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Now all memory sticks have crashed memtest86. I tried moving one from the first slot to the third slot, froze memtest86 at the exact same place as before. I do not know what to conclude from this. Running the new stick from the third slot now.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

If the memory tests good on another machine, then it's likely that the memory slots are bad. Memtest relies on the communications between the motherboard and the memory chip to post the results to your screen - so, at times, a problem with the slots will seem to be a problem with the RAM chips.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

I thought the same, but when freezing at the exact same place? I got confused, I have the memory going in another computer right now.
Will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Nevermind I dont have another computer that uses that memory

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nyctor, 05 June 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#9 Nyctor

Nyctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

After reading the above is it safe to say the Motherboard is failing?

And if so I do not feel I was at fault but probably more of a catalyst how do I explain this to the customer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users