Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 Keyboard 1 Mouse 3 Machines Simultaneously...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

I am enjoying a new game right now, but i have ran into a problem. I have 4 machines I am currently using for this game. On 3 of the 4 machines I want to use 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to control the 3 comptuer games simultaneously. IE 1 keystroke or mouse movement will work on those 3 at the same time, instead of using 3 keyboards and 3 mice at 3 separate times. Anyways i can do this? I looked into KVM boxes, but u can only do something on one then switch to next and next again. The reason i want to us 1 keyboard or mouse is becuase timing is very critical in MMORPGs as most of you know. Any way i can make this work or any ideas? Thanks for your time.

sal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

please help me :thumbsup: i see 11 views but no posts other then this one.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

Members are reading it, but no one has a solution.
I am not sure what you are wanting. You have three computers playing on-line; are you playing the same character or three separate ones? If the latter, what kind of keystroke would serve all three?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:42 AM

close but not exactly. and sorry about the 2nd post from myself, jsut have hard a VERY hard time finding an answer let alone any help on this subject. i want to play 3 computers each have their own separate character on it. i want all 3 of the different characters to perform the same action simultaneosly. let me know if you need more information or i need to explain it in another way. thanks so much for a response
sal

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:02 AM

I know I'm going to regret this but...

There are two ways I can imagine you could do it but i've no idea whether either of them would work in practice:

1. Buy six ps/2 extension cables, cut the plug off your keyboard and mouse, then get out your soldering iron and make up a pair of three way ps/2 splitter cable. Check the keyboard and mouse cable specs and only connect the 5v from one PC might be a precaution.

2. Buy three wireless keyboards/mice and see if you can get the one keyboard/mouse to connect to all three machines. I don't like your chances.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 April 2005 - 01:05 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

i have read that if you use the same exact product of wireless mouse nad keyboard it could work. in that case i just happen to have 3 microsoft case's of keybaord and mouse.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

I am not sure what same actions you want to have each character do, but perhaps another solution, if the game allows it, is to use the same Macro on each machine.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:10 AM

Well the game has a hotbar that has your spells or specific actions on it. You can click with the mouse on the spell/action to perform it, or you can keystroke number(s) 1-0 <1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0>. I have the hot bars of all 3 of same kind of characters setup exactly the same, I.E. hot bar key 1/ number 1 is a magic shield to negate partial damage through a melee attack on all of the three characters. My goal/idea is to use one keyboard and mouse so, i can hit hot bar key 1 / number 1 to perform the spell on all 3 characters to cast my magic shield damage dampening spell at the same exact time. Which would save me from having to do the spell on each character one at a time throught their own keyboard and mouse. Not sure how else i can describe it but i hope you can picture my idea in your imagination. If need be i can send you a private message of some sort with a game screen shot and draw a mini diagram/description of my goal. Thanks again for taking the time out to help me.
sal

#9 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

there is actually cables that are made to do just this sort of thing however i've never seen a 3 split one.
Your best bet is go to a Computer Expo and look around there. you never know what you'll find only thing is becareful. there is nothing saying they can't sell you a product that doesn't work if you know nothing about computers.

I often see a IDE cable with 8 connections yet 1 IDE Channel can only handle 2. its very easy to make a cable look like it will do the job your unknowing/unsuspecting consumer wants.

#10 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

yea i am aware about computer shows, althoguh thanks for the information. still looking to go wireless : (

#11 wallerius

wallerius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:02 AM

Anyone who found a solution to this problem?

I tried to manually split a PS/2 cable, had two old keybords....well...it didn't work too good. Seems to work first, but after 10seconds hell broke loose. COmputer starts beeping and everything just crashed ;)

/W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users