Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Will Not Load After Login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wikedawsum

wikedawsum

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

I have a computer that is used by another person where I work. He brought the computer to me stating that he could not get anything to come up after he turned it on. After talking with him, he told me that a few days before this started happening he had gotten a pop up saying that his computer was infected and asked if he wanted to run this program to check for viruses. Of course, he ran the program AND cannot remember what it was called. :thumbsup:

So, after messing around with the computer these are things I've been able to come up with.

After starting the computer up, it takes roughly 30-45 minutes for the login screen to appear. After you login, it takes another 30-45 minutes for the background to appear, and then I start getting a Data Execution Prevention error with "Run a DLL as an Application" as the name, and Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger errors. I was able to bring up the task manager and determined that there were roughly 100 instances of Dr. Watson running. When I closed one out, another one would come up.

I tried booting into safe mode. Again, it takes a long time for the login screen to come up, and then after that all I get is a black screen. No error messages though. Also tried booting into safe mode with command prompt. The command prompt comes up after login, but disappears after a few seconds.

I've never had to deal with this problem before so, my question is: Is there anything I can do to find out what's going on with this machine without having to reformat it? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Since you are functioning as a quasi IT personnel at a workplace i would suggest that you obtain some generic disks to run as repair disks, It might not even enable you to fix computers as much as obtain data or backups of critical business programs.

A reformat and clean install is the best idea overall, that and training users to prevent such things from happening.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

what you described sounds like several bad infections from a neglected computer finally pushed over the edge

Edited by DaChew, 05 June 2008 - 10:01 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 wikedawsum

wikedawsum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info DaChew, and sorry for the late reply. Appreciate your response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users