Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having To Press F1 To Continue & The Clock

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

I hope I am in the correct category for these two questions. When I start my computer I have to hit F1 in order to contine. Once I am signed in I have a message telling me to alter the date and time, which has set itself at 31 Secember 1999. I duly obey and new date and time is showing in bottom right. However, I have to do this every time I start up my computer. Does any kind soul have a remedy for this little tinker please? :thumbsup:

Cheers, BoltonByrd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

This is very common, if not recognized by users the first time it happens. The remedy is cheap and readily attainable by all :flowers:.

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for that Louis, it was very helpful. I didn't know there was a battery in 'there'! I will certainly give that a go.

Do you think the F1 issue is connected?

Cheers BoltonByrd

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Thank you for that Louis, it was very helpful. I didn't know there was a battery in 'there'! I will certainly give that a go.

Do you think the F1 issue is connected?

Cheers BoltonByrd

During boot up, press F1 is likely because in the bios settings you are not properly set up in boot sequence.
Sometime after power up, there should be another F? to set up or bios. You want to boot from CD first then the C drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

On my systems...I get the F1 option whenever the BIOS clock needs to be reset, regardless of reason (power failure, my turning PS off, failing CMOS battery, etc.).

It's the BIOS leading me by the hand :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

If the battery isn't holding the settings (as indicated by the clock being off), then the BIOS may default to this behavior because it can't recognize the devices. F1 is usually just used to indicate that you understand that there is an issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thank you ALL very much for your replies, I really do appreciate them.

I did noticed that on the rare occasion that I wasn't asked to press F1, the clock didn't need altering.

Cheers, BoltonByrd

#8 Faiza

Faiza

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem. Every time, I start my comp, it says:
Press F1 to continue, or DEL to enter set up

But my clock doesn't trouble me. It's just the F1 trouble at start up. A technician has fixed it a couple of times but it keeps coming back. Is it a CMOS battery thing too? DO I need to change it or something?

Thanks,
Faiza

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

I suggest that you start a new post...your situation seems to be different and possibly more complicated, IMO.

FWIW: My systems will default to the F1 thing...whenever a boot is intentionally or unintentionally interrupted or fails to complete.

A bad CMOS battery is not always the cause of F1 references in error messages.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users