Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Lcd Monitor Non-working-easy Fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi, I am interested in buying a non-working DELL 17" flat panel computer monitor second hand. I want to get it as cheaply as possible in case I have to send it out for repair. This is ALL I know so far about this monitor. "THe person seling it says it was working fine but just stopped working. If you turn it on, the screen will flash on and then go black"...
I am not a tech or anything like that. But, with this little info I have to give you, would it be that it needs something simple and easy to replace? Seller is asking $30 for it. Maybe I can get it for a little less. I saw a picture online and it looks nice. Too bad it has this problem.
Hope you can help Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

Interesting post :thumbsup:.

Personally, I would never consider buying even a used LCD monitor (I'm still waiting for my CRTs to fail), let alone one which is known to be malfunctioning (and has no warranty). I'll amend that...if I were a technician or knowledgeable enough to try to repair it myself, then I might consider it. Only then.

As for hoping that it's something minor...well, you can do that, no harm in hoping. But to assume that you can get it repaired cheaper than buying a new one (with a warranty) and then not have to worry about it failing again...I think that's stretching the old imagination just a bit.

Others here certainly will have different views on what you propose to do.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

IMO it's a $30 bet - the seller isn't interested in having it fixed, and you're betting that it's worth fixing.
Not a good bet IMO :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

This person has some gall trying to sell you a broken monitor. :thumbsup: At $60.00 per hour bench time at a computer shop it quickly becomes more cost effective to let it die and replace it, but to spend $30.00 on it and then at least another $60.00 plus what ever parts is just not a good idea. I'd stay away from this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users