Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Missing Or Corrupt C_949.nls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dare to Try

Dare to Try

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

I changed one thing in my HP notebook, and the system wouldn't boot now. In the Control Panel, Regional & Language options, I added the East Asia language pack. Then changed the default non-unicode language in the Advance tab to be Korean. The notebook went ahead and did the change and asked to be restarted.

Now I get a message like this in the blue screen: "missing or corrupt c_949.nls. try repair using the original CD."
Of course, I don't have the original CD of this non-mine, five-year-old notebook.
And no way to go back via safemode boot, etc.

By the way, the control panel setting exactly like this works fine with my other notebook. There in the c:\windows\system32 directory, I find c_949.nls, and 79 other c_*.nls files.

Is there any way around the "reinstall/repair" path?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

Try Start>Run>sfc /scannow...This may fix your problem...note there is a space between c and /.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Dare to Try

Dare to Try
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the quickie. I wish I could do that. Sigh. But my problem is that I can't get the system started at all.

#4 hamluis

• 55,034 posts
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

If the system doesn't boot...how did you get an error message?

In any case, you can borrow a MS CD with the same version of XP...and use it in conjunction with a valid license...to repair/replace the designated file.

I don't know if running sfc /scannow would do the job, but this file appears to be a Windows file and ought to be able to be replaced by the sfc /scannow command.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users