Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Browsers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of the following is your favorite browser? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following is your favorite browser?

1. Avant® (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Firefox® (14 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. Internet Explorer® (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. Netscape® (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Opera® (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Other (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lemming

Lemming

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

I was wondering which internet browser is peoples favorite.

Please vote! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Freeware: Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Avast Antivirus, Kerio Firewall, Cleanup, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard

Jesus is the Answer for the World today!
Prayer Changes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

Some Opera features.

Small size
Opera is less than half the size of most major browsers, yet still boasts a large number of useful and innovative features and functions.
Sessions
Opera lets you save a collection of open pages as a session, allowing for retrieval on later start-ups, or in the middle of another session. Opera can also be set up to start with the pages you had open when the browser was last closed.
Tabbed Browsing
Surf the Web easier and faster by opening multiple Web pages within the same application window.
Changing clients
Opera can import bookmarks and e-mail messages from the most commonly used applications and formats.
The Wand
Opera's password manager, the Wand, remembers your usernames and passwords so you will not have to. Log in manually once and use the Wand for later visits to a password-protected Web site.
Pop-up blocking
Opera lets the user control whether Web sites can use pop-ups. Select to block them all, or let the browser open only pop-ups that you have requested.
Opera Mail
In Opera's e-mail client, the full text of messages are indexed to allow for speedy searches. There is a built-in spam filter that learns as you add and remove messages. You may also set up custom filters.
Starting with Opera 7.50, you can use Opera Mail to read RSS newsfeeds. Click newsfeed links to subscribe, or use Opera's navigation bar while surfing to automatically recognize embedded newsfeed links and display a "Newsfeed" button.

Voice Interaction
The voice feature allows you to control the interface by talking and to have documents read aloud. The voice feature is customizable and adaptive according to your needs. Voice is currently offered in English and runs on Windows 2000 and XP.
Fit-to-Window
The "Fit-to-Window" function adapts Web pages to fit to the width of your screen or browser window, eliminating the need to scroll horizontally. This is a great feature for small- and medium-sized screens on mobile phones or other devices, or if you want to tile Web sites next to each other on the screen. Fit-to-Window also works on your printer by adapting Web page content to fit to the width of the paper.
Chat client
You can now use Opera to connect to IRC servers and chat in rooms or privately, send files to other users, and so forth. The chat panel lists previously visited chat rooms and contacts that are on line.
Panels
Opera has a useful default selection of panels, such as the Mail and Chat panels. The panel selector provides easy access to all your panels, and adding and removing panels is easily done. Most of the panels have a handy 'Quick find' search-as-you-type feature.
Posted Image

Freeware: Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Avast Antivirus, Kerio Firewall, Cleanup, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard

Prayer Changes!

#3 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

Which is fastest browser?

No such thing as "fastest browser." That is up to you. It ALL depends on how you use your browser and what you use it for.

Cold start, Warm start, Rendering CSS, Rendering table, Script speed, Multiple images
Avant 1.1: (10.09) (2.90) (1.31) (1.38) (32) (2.74)
Firefox 1.0: (11.54) (2.52) (1.81) (1.48) (23) (2.05)
Internet Explorer 6.0: (6.99) (1.77) (1.32) (1.33) (60) (2.32)
Netscape 4.77: (9.33) (1.84) (16.60) (2.34) (80) (2.08)
Opera 8.0: (3.66) (2.38) (0.92) (1.17) (13) (1.78)

Tested on: Windows XP SP2, 800 MHz, Intel Pentium 3, 256 MB RAM.
Posted Image

Prayer Changes!

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

You've showed some very good points and speed, however what about secruity? hm? Well there is no question about which is the best for security, and that is defintely Mozilla Firefox!

here is some support for Mozilla firefox. :thumbsup:

[quote name='http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041230.html']Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser is one of the most important, and most often used, programs on the world's personal computers, relied upon by more than 90% of Windows users. But Microsoft hasn't made any important functional improvements in Internet Explorer for years.

The software giant has folded IE into the Windows operating system, and the browser only receives updates as part of the "Windows update" process. In recent years, most upgrades to IE have been under-the-hood patches to plug the many security holes that have made IE a major conduit for hackers, virus writers and spyware purveyors. The only visible feature added to IE recently: a pop-up ad blocker, which arrived long after other browsers had one.

Meanwhile, other people have been building much better browsers, just as Microsoft itself did in the 1990s, when it challenged and eventually bested the then-dominant browser, Netscape Navigator. The most significant of these challengers is Firefox, a free product of an open-source organization called Mozilla, available for download at www.mozilla.org. Firefox is both more secure and more modern than IE, and it comes packed with user-friendly features the Microsoft browser can't touch.

Firefox still has a tiny market share. But millions of people have downloaded it recently. I've been using it for months, and I recommended back in September that users switch to it from IE as a security measure. It's available in nearly identical versions for Windows, the Apple Macintosh, and the Linux operating system.

There are some other browsers that put IE to shame. Apple's elegant Safari browser, included free on every Mac, is one. But it isn't available for Windows. The Opera browser is loaded with bells and whistles, but I find it pretty complicated. And NetCaptor, my former favorite, is very nice. But since it's based on the IE Web-browsing engine, it's vulnerable to most of IE's security problems.

Firefox, which uses a different underlying browsing engine called "Gecko," also has a couple of close cousins based on the same engine. One is Netscape, now owned by America Online. The other is a browser called Mozilla, from the same group that created Firefox. But Firefox is smaller, sleeker and newer than either of its relatives, although a new Netscape version is in the works.

Firefox isn't totally secure -- no browser can be, especially if it runs on Windows, which has major security problems and is the world's top digital target. But Firefox has better security and privacy than IE. One big reason is that it won't run programs called "ActiveX controls," a Microsoft technology used in IE. These programs are used for many good things, but they have become such powerful tools for criminals and hackers that their potential for harm outweighs their benefits.

Firefox also has easier, quicker and clearer methods than IE does for covering your online tracks, if you so choose. And it has a better built-in pop-up ad blocker than IE.

But my favorite aspect of Firefox is tabbed browsing, a Web-surfing revolution that is shared by all the major new browsers but is absent from IE. With tabbed browsing, you can open many Web pages at once in the same browser window. Each is accessed by a tab.

The benefits of tabbed browsing hit home when you create folders of related bookmarks. For instance, on my computer I have a folder of a dozen technology-news bookmarks and another 20 or so bookmarks pointing to political Web sites. A third folder contains 15 or so bookmarks for sites devoted to the World Champion Boston Red Sox. With one click, I can open the entire contents of these folders in tabs, in the same single window, allowing me to survey entire fields of interest.

And Firefox can recognize and use Web sites that employ a new technology called "RSS" to create and update summaries of their contents. When Firefox encounters an RSS site, it displays a special icon that allows you to create a "live" bookmark to the site. These bookmarks then display updated headlines of stories on the sites.

Firefox also includes a permanent, handy search box that can be used to type in searches on Google, Yahoo, Amazon or other search sites without installing a special toolbar.

And it has a cool feature called "Extensions." These are small add-on modules, easy to download and install, that give the browser new features. Among the extensions I use are one that automatically fills out forms and another that tests the speed of my Web connection. You can also download "themes," which change the browser's looks.

There is only one significant downside to Firefox. Some Web sites, especially financial ones, have chosen to tailor themselves specifically for Internet Explorer. They rely on features only present in IE, and either won't work or work poorly in Firefox and other browsers.

Luckily, even if you switch to Firefox, you can still keep IE around to view just these incompatible sites. (In fact, Microsoft makes it impossible to fully uninstall IE.) There's even an extension for Firefox that adds an option called "View This Page in IE."

So Firefox is my current choice of a Windows Web browser. It is to IE in 2004 what IE was to Netscape in 1996 -- the upstart that does a better[/quote]

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

I clicked on Firefox, though I continue to use Mozilla's Suite since it integrates an Email client with the browser. I have found it to be reliable, faster, and more secure than IE, and, with its frequent new releases, always adding new features and enhancements.
Any browser which is not part of the operating system, and eschews using ActiveX controls, is inherently more secure than IE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for you reply's.

So Firefox is very secure, as you say?
Posted Image

Prayer Changes!

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

Yes, Firefox is the safest browser ever built! It disables ActiveX controls which can be hazardous to your computer's health. ActiveX can install stuff into your computer with you knowing about it. So yea, its very important to use firefox.

Edited by yanowhiz, 05 April 2005 - 07:21 PM.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

More importantly in this day and age, Mozilla will issue patches to its products if major problems are found much faster than MS. No browser is perfect, but the response shown in the past to security flaws by the Mozilla project has been exceptional.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Allright then.

Thanks one again.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Prayer Changes!

#10 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:33 PM

Well, since I am in the "other" category, I might as well post which brower.

Maxthon.

It is an ie shell, so it is compatible with all websites, and has a ton of great features.... (including tabbed browsing)
www.maxthon.com
wng
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Blaster, Type faster!!

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#11 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:45 AM

Had never heard of it.

Thanks for saying.
Posted Image

Prayer Changes!

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

Firefox safer than IE, faster and has tabs, the best part!

#13 Lemming

Lemming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

I would say any other browser is safier than IE :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Prayer Changes!

#14 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:09 PM

See, I personally haven't had any security issues with maxthon. I have never gotten a virus/trojan

And the only spyware I have gotten has been tracking cookies. So all in all, functionality and ease of use is above security when I am looking at a browser.

Now I am not saying that IE is safer than firefox, but with programs such as a hosts file, iespyad, spyware blaster etc.. it is safe enough

wng
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Blaster, Type faster!!

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#15 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:09 AM

I voted "other".

I use either = = 404Browser --- http://ltpb.8m.com/404Browser/Download.html

or Offbyone Browser = http://www.offbyone.com