Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed To Load Dll, No Start Menu, Messed Up/missing Icons, Etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gotmilt

gotmilt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Hey. I'm just gonna copy this post I made elsewhere. I think it about follows what you guys want in a problem post. I tried to search if it was answered already, but your search wasnt working, so I gave up. Thanks in advance.

My computer recently had a bit of a meltdown and I ended up playing around a little in the Recovery Console and running a chkdsk. I also attempted to copy a file on my desktop to an external hard drive from RC but found out I couldnt and gave up.The check disk fixed a little bit (namely an error that my computer could not start because C:\Windows\system32\config\system was deleted or corrupt or something).

My computer now starts up, but when it does, I get these problems:

"1. all the icons on my desktop looks weird, and everything that's not on my desktop has no icon whatsoever

2. The "Start" button on the status bar is gone, so I cannot click "Start", then choose "Admin Tools" to do a system restore.

3. If I need to turn off the computer, I have to press the power off button because again the Start button has disappeared, also I cannot use the task manager even if I press "alt-ctl-del"."

4. When I start up my computer, I get a "failed to load dll" error.

5. I can start some programs, and peripheral devices work, but not exactly right (I have to access them from My Computer)

6. I also get an error when I try to run most any of my programs. The error may be slightly different for different programs, but it always says something to the effect of "this could not be started because it has not been configured properly. try reinstalling it."

I have a Dell XPS Gen2 and I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I just did a repair installation, so all my System Restore points are gone ( I didnt think of that until after the repair).

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

I would try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

You may need to press Ctrl+alt+Delete > Task Manager > File > New Task (Run...) then type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gotmilt

gotmilt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the tip. Only problem is that I can't bring up the task manager since Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesnt do anything. I mentioned this in my problem, but perhaps it wasn't very clear.

Is there some other way to run sfc or to bring up the task manager?

Scratch that question. I just used the window button to bring up the start menu and find the command prompt and I went to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\sfc.exe /scannow

It's scanning... now

Edited by gotmilt, 05 June 2008 - 08:23 AM.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

A lot of the symptoms that you are describing are often malware related. Have you performed any Anti-Virus/Anti-Spware scans? If you haven't I would suggest that you do so as soon as you can. Here is a link for various programs some are free and others you may have to subscribe to:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

Edited by douglas martin, 05 June 2008 - 08:34 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 gotmilt

gotmilt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

I am trying a TrendMicro Online Scan. It would appear that I cannot download files directly from the internet, nor can I run Activex Controls because my security settings are too high. I cant change the security settings, however, because I dont have a Tools button on my IE. Java plugins seem to be working though.

Just to add a couple things:

- I can't open most programs. The error is : "<program path>... This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

- the "failed to load dll" error at start up is by Apoint.exe, which I believe is my touch pad. The touch pad does work, however.

#6 gotmilt

gotmilt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

I got the TrendMicro Housecall components installed and began running, only to have it finish immediately without scanning anything on my computer. As I cannot download programs, or run my ZoneAlarm antivirus, or ActivexControls, I am feeling SOL. Any ideas?

Oh, and the system file checker did not seem to do anything.

UPDATE: I've found that I can run the a2cmd program (a-squared command, which is further down on the a-squared website), and am currently running it via command prompt. Will update later. The program was a direct link d/l (if that is the correct terminology), so I could right-click>save target as to get the zip file on my computer. Left-clicking did no good

UPDATE: The a2cmd program found 19 cookies... not something to be concerned about I'm assuming.

Edited by gotmilt, 05 June 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hmm...I'd suggest posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The personnel frequenting that particular forum are better trained to deal with malware issues than in the XP forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users