Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Taima

Taima

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

I have a RAM problem that I'm aware of, with a 1gb stick that I bought a few months ago
Didn't find out it was the RAM till yesterday when I brought it to these guys
And I think he said it's because the RAMs are two different speeds and that PNY sucks...he says he thinks he might've fixed it and charged me $20 for it
But about an hour ago when I was playing Battlefield 2, the computer froze
I was like "okay one freeze won't hurt"
So i restart it and start playing again. everything looks good until about 45 min later when the computer restarted on me
Is there anything I can do besides buying more RAM? because I'm not full of money at the moment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

It would help immensely if you were to give us some information, like the make and model of the computer and the all of the RAM modules. If the computer is a custom build, please provide us with the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

lol of course...where's my head at. it's sort of a custom build, ill name some stuff off

AMD Athlon XP-M 2800 +
PCChips M863G version 1.5 i believe
the 1 gig of pc3200 PNY RAM
and a 512mb of pc3200 of something thats not PNY lol

#4 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

I solved my problem, sort of. I found out that the PNY RAM is faulty, but I bought it too long ago and therefore can do nothing about it. So I guess all I'm gonna do is buy better RAM.

#5 Bowdie4th

Bowdie4th

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

If it's any help, I think Kingston is the best for RAM. I've upgraded several laptops & desktops
and Kingston has never failed. I've used Ultra a couple of times too. Just make sure you know
what your mobo will handle so you get the best performance.

I usually stick with one manufactor and don't like to mix modules.

Sometimes you can get decent deals on ebay, newegg and tigerdirect for RAM.

Good luck!

#6 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

I already knew about Kingston being the best, I just didn't want to spit up the extra cash. Then again, you get what you pay for.

I've decided that I'm going to buy this RAM here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146969

Anyway, thanks for the advice Bowdie4th

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

It is getting to be difficult to keep up with this topic, you now have two topics open in two different forums discussing the same topic.

In your other topic I had posted the following:

"Running in dual channel effectively doubles the speed of the RAM, I would suggest adding another 512MB module, this is a case where more may not be merrier. You will need to purchase a module that has the exact same specs and size to run in dual channel, the best option is to purchase another of the exact same modules from the manufacturer of the original module."

It is your choice, but I think you are making a mistake by not making use of the ability to run your RAM in dual channel. The 1GB (2x512MB) will out perform the 1.5GB, and would be less expensive.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2008 - 03:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users