Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Cycles At Times...loud

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

I don't know if this is the right place for this or not. I guess it's ok since I don't have a clue what's happening. At times my computer, I don't know if it's the hard drive or the fans, starts to run loud. I can be working on it or it can be setting idle and it kicks in. There are no knocking or clicking noises, it sounds more like the hard drive. I hope I explained this all right. Any help is appreciated. I run Spysweeper and Pc-cillin as protection from viruses and spyware. The computer is only a little over a year old. Btw, when it starts running "hard" it usually does it for about 15-20 seconds, stops, then maybe starts up again a minute later. It may do this "cycle" once or twice then that's it. Thanks again.

Edited by garmanma, 05 June 2008 - 05:55 PM.
Believe it's a hardware issue move to appropiate forum

HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

A picture...:thumbsup:, I suggest removing the cover from the system and doing a visual fix on possible origin...before worrying excessively.

It could be fan bearings, it could be hard drive...it may be routine vibration of the case, etc. Fixing the location/origin will allow for more intelligent guessing.

Louis

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

A picture...:thumbsup:, I suggest removing the cover from the system and doing a visual fix on possible origin...before worrying excessively.

It could be fan bearings, it could be hard drive...it may be routine vibration of the case, etc. Fixing the location/origin will allow for more intelligent guessing.

Louis

Thanks, I'll look it over.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:39 AM

I've had a problem with that with a HP Pavilion A3523 if I remeber correctly...

The motherboard was programed to make the fans go crazy if the cpu temp peaked over 55C opened it up and I coulden't find the heatsink. I found it about 2 minutes later, it was that giant dust ball on my motherboard.

Cleaned it out and no more crazy fan.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 06 June 2008 - 07:39 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Take a wooden or plastic long handled kitchen spoon and place the end of it on the hdd and place your ear on the spoon end, if it is coming from there you will hear it quite readily. If it's not the hdd try it on you other drives.

If this doesn't isolate where the noise is coming from, do a visual inspection with the case open. Is the fan on the PCU heat sink spinning louder than normal, is there any build up of dust on the fan or heat sink?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

I've had a problem with that with a HP Pavilion A3523 if I remeber correctly...

The motherboard was programed to make the fans go crazy if the cpu temp peaked over 55C opened it up and I coulden't find the heatsink. I found it about 2 minutes later, it was that giant dust ball on my motherboard.

Cleaned it out and no more crazy fan.

I didn't have time to take the cover off yet but I did spray the vents on the back with some "air". So far it hasn't done it again. I know I probably need to open the computer to clean it proper but blowing out the air vents has worked temporarily. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users