Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde.fp And Privacyset.b Infections...help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Theaxiom

Theaxiom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

I really need some help. I want to get this issue over with ASAP. It is a clean format, and I JUST got everything installed for the new system and I came across this stupid virus/trojan/malware and can not get rid of it.

Virtumonde.FP and PrivacySet.B

Automatic update is disabled, I am getting popups in firefox, and the computer is slow as hell and NOD32 is combating at least 2 attacks per second. I am going crazy!

{Mod Edit: Moved from XP~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 04 June 2008 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

See the following fix:

How to Remove WinFixer / Virtumonde / Msevents / Trojan.vundo.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

the important question here, Is how did you reinfect yourself so soon, there's no point in removing something till you answer that question

One of your installers is infected if you just did a clean install

Or one of your favorite web sites is a very bad one

I would start over again but this time be very careful about what I load and try to get on the internet after I am protected
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Theaxiom

Theaxiom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I got rid of virtumonde, and I figured out how I got infected. My last problem is still remaining, and that would be PrivacySet.B. I did a virus scan in safe mode to get rid of virtumonde.

Edited by Theaxiom, 04 June 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Try a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (in Normal Mode, not Safe Mode).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Theaxiom

Theaxiom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thanks so much, that seemed to do the trick. I ran CCleaner afterward to clean up the registry entries remaining for boot. Browser is much faster, doesn't appear to be anymore pop ups and I can re-enable automatic updates.

Edited by Theaxiom, 04 June 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

I wouldn't normally recommend a registry cleaner as they sometimes do more harm than good. In future, if your going to clean your registry, you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

If you’re clean, you should create a new Restore Point to prevent possible re-infection from an old one.

Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore. Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next. Give the Restore Point a name and then click Create. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point. Go Start > Run and type: "Cleanmgr" (without the quotes). Click Ok > More Options tab > Clean Up in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users